2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2010 3:51 PM by yoyojoe

not sure if/how this requirement can be realised ?

yoyojoe

Title

not sure if/how this requirement can be realised ?

hey folks, I'm not sure if I can put this very well in words but here goes anyway.

my goal:-  to read a subset of data from up to 4 different records in Table B

then display that data (the 4 subsets) in 1 record of Table A

background:- Table A contains information about different ores

Table B contains information about different minerals that can be found in different ores

after entering all the relevant data for the ores and the minerals what I'd like to do is to be able to display the pertinent data for an ore and have the ore record present the corresponding data subsets for the respective minerals that are to be found within the ore.

hopefully, as different ore records are viewed then the different minerals and proportions will vary accordingly.

fyi:- I'm currently trialling FMP 9 and have successfully managed a 1 to 1 relationship, that's as far as I've made it atm.

many thanks for your comments, suggestions, ideas or help.

• 1. Re: not sure if/how this requirement can be realised ?
          philmodjunk

For this, you need a one (ore) to many (minerals) relationship. You can then display the related records in a portal. There are several options for how you'd link them depending on what your Mineral records represent. If one mineral record can be listed for many different Ore records as I think is likely here, you now have a many to many relationship.

Many to many relationships are implemented in almost all cases with a Join table.

Ore----<Ore_Mineral>----Mineral

Here's a download link to a demo file (Click the blue download button): http://www.4shared.com/file/PLhjErzu/Contracts_to_Companies.html

It links "contracts" to "companies" so you'll need to think of Companies as "ores" and Contracts as "Minerals", but it illustrates how to do this in FileMaker.

• 2. Re: not sure if/how this requirement can be realised ?
            yoyojoe

hey PhilModJunk,

many thanks for your reply and for the link, I greatly appreciate your input.

this post to let you know that I found a solution for my requirement; it makes use of two more appearances of the 'Minerals' table in the graph that shows the table relationships. It's probably not an efficient way of resolving the matter but it works for me.

I need to work on the 'Join Table' concept as I seem to have a bit of a mental block with that atm; I seem to be a bit slow on the uptake these days with concepts that are new to me - old dogs and new tricks, how true.