AnsweredAssumed Answered

Not understanding the theory of this...

Question asked by whardy7 on Jan 28, 2010
Latest reply on Jan 29, 2010 by philmodjunk

Title

Not understanding the theory of this...

I am not understanding something about why one way works and another doesn't concerning two tables.

I will simplify - I have 2 tables with fields; Household (HHID, Name) and FamilyMembers (FMID, HHID, gFMID, Name, Address), related by HHID. I also have a TO called FamilyMembers2.

My layout is based on Household and lets me enter households. It also contains a portal based on FamilyMembers that lets me enter family members (only Name) of that household. This all works great.

I need to click on a family member in the portal in order to edit the remaining FamilyMembers fields below it that contain the address fields, etc. I can do this as long as I populate a global variable gFMID in FamilyMembers with FMID using Set Field. It works great.

So, why doesn't it work if I simply relate FamilyMembers2 (TO of FamilyMembers) to FamilyMembers through FMID? It seems this would also keep FamilyMembers2 on the current record in FamilyMembers.

My end goal is the the simplest/cleanest way to click on a particular FamilyMember Name in the portal and edit it's remaining fields.

Thanks for any clarifications. I can't complain because it works great, but it would help me to understand why I can't do it with a simple relationship.

whardy7 

Outcomes