AnsweredAssumed Answered

NOTE  user report on SSD running Filemaker Server 10

Question asked by davidanders on Feb 7, 2011
Latest reply on Feb 7, 2011 by Sorbsbuster

Title

NOTE  user report on SSD running Filemaker Server 10

From   http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/harddrives/index.html#d07feb2011

After following this SSD thread for a few days, I decided to make the jump      and ordered a 100GB SSD from OWC (the Pro RE edition). I replaced one of      the two 2010 Mini Server 500GB drives saving the other as a split      partition for clone and storage.

This particular mini is a Filemaker 10 Server as well as a Rumpus FTP        host. I didn't need a huge boot drive as the FTP files and FM backups        are on an attached LaCie Big 5 RAID. (FYI, making drive changes inside        the new minis is NOT for the faint of heart).

While true that the boot time is now remarkable (OS X 10.6 server        booting in about 10-15 seconds), the amazing thing is the database. On a        client machine I did a "find test" using our largest table, which has        nearly 1 million records with 40 fields. I did random searches in a name        field using common last names like Smith, Johnson, etc. Search results        of 5000 or more routinely occur instantaneously. There used to be a        lengthy pause moving from one layout to another where there were        multiple self relationship, but the pause is gone. It feels like we        replaced both the server *and* client computers, when all we did was buy        a single $300 part. There is also *no* warm air coming from the back of        the server any longer.

Outcomes