10 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2011 9:25 AM by ian37

Notes from Portal row?

ian37

Title

Notes from Portal row?

Hi, I have a portal with 2 fields "Action" and "date" and this works fine.
      The user enters "action" from a drop down list such as "Contacted buyer" or "sent email" then puts the date in the next field.

Underneath I have a notes field which is just a text box.
      I would like the notes field to be inndividual to each row of the portal, so if you click on a port row it
      shows the notes for that row, click on the next row it shows the notes for that row and so on but not in the portal itself,
      in the notes field below it.

Can this be done?

• 1. Re: Notes from Portal row?
          LaRetta_1

Hi Ian,

Create another portal (based upon the exact same table occurrence as the one with the actions and dates in it but make it only one row and remove the scroll arrow from it, if it happens to appear.  While this new portal is selected, specify Arrange > Send to Back (this is so that your notes field when placed on top will be later/higher in the stacking order and will be on top of your portal and not underneath).

Drag its size to 2 px larger in width and 2 px larger in height than the size that you want your notes field and place it where you want your notes field. Select your notes field (again make sure it is based upon the same table occurrence as your other fields in your other portal). 

Drag your notes field over the portal.  Don't worry about proper placement because now you will use your alignment tools to center them perfectly.  If using Inspector, selec Position tab and align center horizontally and vertically or if older version than 11, select Arrange > Align and select Center and Middle.

That's it.  Now when you select a row in your original portal, the same note for that record will display in the other location of your layout. Laughing

• 2. Re: Notes from Portal row?
            ian37

Hi Laretta,

I have done this but the notes field only shows the notes from the first row of the portal.

If you click on the other rows in the portal it does not change just shows notes from the first row.

These fields are all in the same table. Any ideas?

Ian

• 3. Re: Notes from Portal row?
              LaRetta_1

I felt I was skipping something, sorry. You need to create a script with:

Set Field [ global ; Notes::ID
              Commit Record/request

Your portal should be filtered with calculation of:  Notes::ID = global

This global can be from any table in your solution.

• 4. Re: Notes from Portal row?
                ian37

Laretta, I still cannot get it to work. Can i send the file to you (very small)

Ian

• 5. Re: Notes from Portal row?
                  LaRetta_1

Yes you may.  But before we take that step, what FM version are you using?  I forget that not everyone is using FM11.

• 6. Re: Notes from Portal row?
                    ian37

Laretta, I am using FM10 Advanced. Where do I send the zip file to?

• 7. Re: Notes from Portal row?
                      LaRetta_1

Well, if using vs. 10, you will another (but similar method).  You probably were surprised that you didn't see where you could put a calculaton to filter the portal.  That's because filtered portals didn't exist in vs. 10 yet.   So you need to filter the relationship instead.

The global field must be in your parent table (the same table that your layout is based upon).  In your graph, create a duplicate copy of your notesl table (select your portal table and then ++) to create notes 2.

Then join as:

MainTable::global = Notes::NotesID

Script would be:

Set Field [ MainTable::global ; Notes 2::ID
                      Commit Record/request

Same about placing the rectangle over the portal.  Your single row portal which holds the notes should be changed from pointing at Notes to pointing at Notes 2 and the field inside should also be changed from pointing to Notes to point to Notes 2.

• 8. Re: Notes from Portal row?
                        ian37

Laretta, I still cannot do not understand. I have the imprint of a keyboard on my head!

Can you have a quick look? it is a very small file.

Thanks

Ian

• 9. Re: Notes from Portal row?
                          LaRetta_1

Yes, I would be happy to.  This site does not allow attachments but you need to upload your file somewhere.  You can sign up at 4shared and it costs nothing.  Then provide a link to your file here on this thread.  You can also send me a private message and I will send you my email address to send the file directly but it is best to keep things linked to the website so others can learn as well.

• 10. Re: Notes from Portal row?
                            ian37

Many thanks, please send me your email address.

Thanks

Ian