2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2014 7:12 AM by darkenney

notification when an update matching records import changes a field

darkenney

Title

notification when an update matching records import changes a field

FMP 12 Adv. I run a daily import that updates matching records and adds new records that don't exist. Is there a way to know which of those matched records actually changed with different data? The resulting found set has all that matched but only a few actually get new data. An onModify trigger doesn't work on Import, a modification stamp shows them all as modified. I know I could have the import go into duplicate fields and then I can compare and clean up, but was hoping for something else. Thoughts? Thanks.

• 1. Re: notification when an update matching records import changes a field
          philmodjunk

I'm just brainstorming at my computer here and can't really tell you if this idea is truly practical or not, but:

Define two additional fields in your table. Define one as a calculation field that concatenates the values of the other fields:

Field1 & " " & Field2 & " " & ... and so forth for every field that might be modified by the import matching operation.

Define the second as a text field. Just before you import records, use Replace field contents to set the added text field to the value of this calculation field. Then import your records.

The records that have been modified by the import will be the records where this added calculation field does not match the value in the text field. (And newly added records will have an empty text field.)

• 2. Re: notification when an update matching records import changes a field
            darkenney

That works just fine - thanks. That will tell me the record has been updated, and with some work, I can do some parsing between the two to uncover which Field(s) changed.  Best yet equivalent for a Field Script Trigger of  'OnObjectModified_ByImport.'

Thanks again, and thanks for the fast response.