4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2010 8:48 AM by philmodjunk

Novice in FM Pro 11 Advanced needs help for time in and time out features

xtremu

Title

Novice in FM Pro 11 Advanced needs help for time in and time out features

I am currently working on a database for the gate entry system of our school wherein this system will track the student and employee information/record in the database which will show if they are currently enrolled or not and if they are still an employee or not.  We are using ID barcode for the gate entry to monitor the status of an individual and to record it in our database for the time in and time out activity.  The TIME IN will be done through first ID barcode detection of our system and automatically record the time in of that individual into our database, the second ID detection of our system will be recorded in our TIME OUT field and so on…

The current scenario is that I have two tables, the student table that holds all information about the student and employee records and the history table that holds the check in and checkout time of each individual. I want to provide a portal row in the student table for each individual’s check in and checkout time but it doesn’t work, no time appears in my portal row.

I have already STUDENT ID field that matches in the relationship graph but when I make a portal indicating this two related fields, it does not work. Here are the following tables and fields that I have created:

Student Table

Fields:

1. Student info (such as First, Last name, address, contact #., etc)
      2. Student ID – number/auto –enter serial number
      3. Check In Time – Time
      4. Check Out Time – Time

History Table

Fields:

1. Student ID – number/ auto-serial number
      2. Check In Time – Time
      3. Check Out Time - Time

I would appreciate any suggestions to make the functionality I described above to work properly.

Thanks and more power to the File Maker Pro 11 Advanced team.

• 1. Re: Novice in FM Pro 11 Advanced needs help for time in and time out features
          sunmoonstar.13

(1) The Student ID in the HIstory table should not be an auto-enter serial number, it should be a plain number field.

(2) Delete the Check in and Check out fields from the Student table, you don't need these here, they should only exist in the History table.

(3) Make sure that the portal in the Student table is displaying the Check in and Check out fields from the History table - not the old Check in and Check out fields from the Student table, which should have been deleted in step (2) above anyway.

(4) If you're entering the Check in and Check out data directly into the portal, then open the Edit Relationship dialog and make sure that "Allow creation of records..." is checked under the History table, so that when you enter new Check in and Check out data into the portal it will automatically create a new record in the History table with the correct matching Student ID.

Hope this helps!

Nick

• 2. Re: Novice in FM Pro 11 Advanced needs help for time in and time out features
            xtremu

Hello Nick,

Thanks for the quick and a nice response Nick and I followed already your instructions such as removing the auto-enter serial number of the Student ID in the History table and i already deleted the check in and checkout fields from the Student table. I already displayed the check in and checkout fields in the portal under Student table, and in edit relationship dialog I checked already the "Allow creation of records", match Student ID of Student and History table.

My check in and check out fields under History table configuration are almost the same, the type is calculation and the option is unstored = Get (CurrentTime), the check in and check out time in the portal now shows automatically the current system clock time and it's quite good now, but nick please advise me how to do with the check out field to store the time after having the check in time. Is there any other options so that there is an automatic check in and check out time in the portal using ID with barcode in the scanner?  Or do i need to have a script for this? Can you please provide us for that script?

Thanks  Nick.

xtremu

• 3. Re: Novice in FM Pro 11 Advanced needs help for time in and time out features
              sunmoonstar.13

Hi xtremu,

I'm glad to hear you sorted out your fields and table relationships :-)

I've never used a barcode scanner with Filemaker, so unfortunately I can't help you with that.

Nick

• 4. Re: Novice in FM Pro 11 Advanced needs help for time in and time out features
                philmodjunk

You can search this forum and find several threads on bar codes scanners.

Every barcode scanner I've seen will work in "keyboard emulation mode". That means the data is input to the computer just as though you typed in the data via the keyboard. Thus, you can simply place the cursor in a text field and then use the scanner to scan the barcode's label text into the scanner. ( A barcode is really just a special font that can be read by the scanner rather than a human.)

With filemaker 10 and 11, you can even program most scanners to put a Pre and post amble before and after the scanned data and set up script triggers such as OnKeystroke and/or OnObjectExit to further automate the process.