6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2011 10:49 AM by mikeDrennan

Novice needs help with design

mikeDrennan

Title

Novice needs help with design

Hello all...

I hate to be "that guy" but I have a specific goal that I'm trying to accomplish, and I'm very deficient in the FileMaker knowledge to achieve it.  I have studied and studied forums, videos, etc. to try and gain a better understanding, but I can't wrap my head around it and I need help.  This is what I'm trying to accomplish:

In my business, I have a set of criteria that I try to keep track of for every client.  Up to this point, this has been accomplished in a clumsy, inefficient paper based manner.  I have been demoing FileMaker Pro trying to make it work for me, but again, I just can't build the necessary relationships.  My primary table contains several fields:

Name:

phone #:

Svc Needed:

Svc Appt'ed:

Recall Needed:

Recall Appt'ed:

New Client:

Followup call 1:  (Date)

Followup call 2:  (Date)

As you can see, each of the fields except "Name", "Phone", and follow up calls are based on a simple YES/NO result.  What I would love to accomplish is to be able to have a sortable, dynamically updating "Call List" based on these criteria:

EITHER "Svc Needed:YES" and "Svc Appt'ed:NO"

OR

"Recall Needed:YES" and "Recall Appt'ed:NO"

Primarily, I am trying to generate a list of those clients who have a service or recall need but have not made an appointment for it.  Clients that meet these criteria will need to be followed up with by phone, 2 weeks after the initial consultation and 4 weeks afterward.  The idea is that the "Call List" would be dynamic, so that if any of the criteria are changed as a result of a followup call (i.e., the client makes an appointment) they will be removed from the call list.  Likewise, after two calls are made, they should be removed from the call list so as not to waste further time following up.

I hope this makes sense; I have no idea if this is a difficult problem to solve or an easy one.  For me, it has proven to be tremendously difficult!  If anyone can offer any help, it would be most appreciated.  Please keep in mind that I am a total novice so details and/or examples would benefit me greatly.  Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Novice needs help with design
          philmodjunk

I'm going to assume that the Needed and appt'ed fields have been formatted with radio buttons using a value list of Yes, No.

1. Enter find mode
          2. Click Yes in Svc Needed and click NO in Svc Appt'ed
          3. Select New Request from the Requests menu
          4. Click Yes in Recall Need and No in Recall Appt'ed
          5. Perform the find
          6. This will find all records that meet either the first criterial OR the second.

This can also be set up as a script so that you need only click a button to get this set of records.

• 2. Re: Novice needs help with design
            mikeDrennan

Thanks very much, Phil.  That certainly does the trick for narrowing down the criteria.  Can this be setup in some way that this list of records is kept dynamically?  In other words, not having to manually run a script or generate a report?  I would love to be able to switch back and forth between two layouts, my client records and the call list, and see the call list updated on the fly as records are modified and/or created.  Thanks!

• 3. Re: Novice needs help with design
              philmodjunk

You can set up a layout for this and the button that takes the user to the layout can run a script that both selects the layout and performs the find.

If you use a separate table occurrence box for this layout, the find performed on this layout will produce a found set that's independent of the found set you see on your current layouts.

Here's a tutorial on table occurrences you may find useful. At the very end of it there's an example of using different table occurrences to create and work with different found sets of records from the same table.

Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?

• 4. Re: Novice needs help with design
                mikeDrennan

Okay...I read through that thread and followed along inside of a new file in FileMaker.  I think I see what you're getting at, but another question:

To accomplish my task, do I need two tables at all, or just multiple table occurrences  of my original table?  The part about drawing relationships between two different tables is what throws me, but maybe I don't need to do that in this example?  You are a lot of help, thank you very much.

• 5. Re: Novice needs help with design
                  philmodjunk

For just the purposes of what we are discussing here, you just need an extra table occurrence of the same table. By specifying the new table occurrence in show records from for your new layout, it will have it's own found set, current record and sort order that is separate from the found set, etc that is current for your existing layouts that refer to a different table occurrence.

What I don't know and what you'll have to determine for yourself is whether you have data in any related tables that also needs to be displayed on this new layout such as in a portal. If so, you'd need to duplicate those table occurrences and link them to your new table occurrence also.

• 6. Re: Novice needs help with design
                    mikeDrennan

Yes!  I think you've given me exactly what I need here.  I don't think I need any related tables for this simple database.  I didn't understand the concept of table occurrences and how I could use them to my benefit until you explained it to me.  Thanks a million.  Now I feel that I can build my project from square one.