2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2009 12:44 PM by muntinga

Novice Seeks help with simple relational database...!

muntinga

Title

Novice Seeks help with simple relational database...!

Dear Filemaker-Pro's and Advanced Users,

I'd really need some help here, because I am trying to create my own database for my clinic (Osteopathy).

So:

- I have patients with all their adress/tel/email/etc details

- each patient comes for a set of treatments (series), a serie is just a "number" connected to the related patient (so: one patient can have many series)

- each serie contains some treatments. Each treatment contains details like notes/date/costs/paid(Yes/No). so: one serie contains many treatments

database picture

can anyone help me here? seems there is a many-to-may relationship... and I REALLY don't get this... :-)))

Best, 

Edward Muntinga

Switzerland

www.muntinga.ch

• 1. Re: Novice Seeks help with simple relational database...!
          ninja

Howdy muntinga,

What you describe (as I understand your wording) is two one-to-many relationships.

From your relationship graph, grab Patients:: PatID and drag it to Series::SerielID

Create a new field "Series::TreatmentID and grab Series::TreatmentID and drag it to Treatment::TreatmentID

This will let one patient relate to many series, and one series relate to many treatments.

If I assume correctly, you should then double click the relationship box and allow for new records to be created by this relationship in the respective "many" table but NOT allow creation of records in the respective "One" table.

(i.e. a series can create treatments, but a treatment cannot create a series).

Is this what you are after?

(Note, the space in Patients:: PatID should not be there...I had to put it in so it didn't look like Patients::PatID )

• 2. Re: Novice Seeks help with simple relational database...!
            muntinga
               thanks! was unsure about this.... will try further and of course: I ordered a Manual Book for FM10.... :-))) thanks!!!!