1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 24, 2008 9:24 AM by TSGal

Novice: In FMP advanced how do 'runtime' solutions work?

phillman5

Title

Novice: In FMP advanced how do 'runtime' solutions work?

I did do a search in this forum first but didn't really see the answer.

I am kind of new to FileMaker, but I did do one fairly complex database 8+ years ago for my own use. I have some questions on implementation. I believe we can use FileMaker Advanced to make a runtime solution. If we use a 3rd party plug-in as part of our solution how does that work? 

Would other employees (we have only 4 total) use a runtime solution just like an application or would they also have to have FileMaker?  Do we only have to purchase one copy of FMP adv?

What about 3rd party plug-ins? Would we have to get four versions or purchase a developer license?  Or do they just become part of the runtime solution?
      (We do not plan on distributing our runtime solution)

As you see we are just starting and trying to learn as much as we can before committing ourselves as this is the way to go.

• 1. Re: Novice: In FMP advanced how do 'runtime' solutions work?
          TSGal

phillman5:

Thank you for your post.

The 3rd party plug-in would need to be in the Extensions folder.  On our web site, you can view our product documentation for FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced.  Look at page 13, right column for more information.

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/fmpa9_development.pdf

You only have to purchase one copy of FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced.  The other users do NOT need FileMaker Pro.  When you distribute your solution, you would also need to distribute the 3rd party plug-in.

Please see the documentation above for more information.  If you still have outstanding questions, please feel free to contact me.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.