4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2008 3:24 PM by davidhead

Null value

jimliston

Title

Null value

I cannot remember, nor search and find, how to find records with multiple criteria one of which includes a NOT EQUAL TO. Example: I want to find all of the steam boilers I manage, but not any which have been sent to salvage. In the EQUIPMENT DESCRIPTION field I type "=BOILER, STEAM". What do I type in the LOCATIONS field when I don't want those in LOCATION "221399". I know this is a newbie question, but I'm losing it lately.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Null value
          TSGal

jimliston:

Thank you for your post.

When you put in the first criteria for EQUIPMENT DESCRIPTION, then pull down the Requests menu and select "Add New Request".  In the second request, enter 221399 into LOCATION, and on the left side of the screen, click the Omit checkbox and click Find.  This will find all records with Boiler and Steam in EQUIPMENT DESCRIPTION, but omit those records that have 221399 in LOCATION.  Does this make sense?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Null value
            jimliston

Thanks for the quick reply. Your solution is correct, however, in the interest of brevity, I left out that there are six different types of equipment in the request, each type having some items in salvage.  Which, of course, I do not want returned in my found set. I'm putting this into a startup script so I can cull out those records which are active. I can also create a SALVAGE field and populate all of those records with a Y/N value set and search for NO. Answer me this: is there an operator (symbol) which means "<>"? This symbol is not used by Filemaker Pro is it? Hmmmmmmm. Thanks again.

jim

• 3. Re: Null value
              TSGal

jimliston:

Thanks for the clarification.  To omit the other five types of equipment, create additional requests for each item and click "omit".

In a calculation field, you can use either <> or ≠.  However, since the discussion has been about the Find mode, the "Omit" acts the same.  For example, if you want to find all records that don't equal "12345", enter "12345" into the field and click Omit.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Null value
                davidhead

jimliston wrote:

... there are six different types of equipment in the request, each type having some items in salvage.  Which, of course, I do not want returned in my found set. 

So what you need is seven requests - one for each item type and one further request for the location 221399 which has the Omit checkbox checked. When run, this will find all records matching the six equipment types and then omit those in the set that are in location 221399. This is simple to set in a startup script.