4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2014 10:22 PM by jabs.far

Number format struggles ...

jabs.far

Title

Number format struggles ...

Well, Paris being rainy again today

On my layout, I have two fields. They are direct duplicates, one from the other. They are of the RadioButton set type. One field displaying data from what I call a "TEMP" field, from which data is to be transferred to the other field, that contains the "definitive" data, at a later (scripted) phase of data confirmation. They are both number fields (absolute requirement), formatted to display "decimal with two decimals", with separators set to system settings. During my script, I transfer data from one to the other field (Set Field). Bottomline is that the receiving field will not display the number. It will, if the receiving field is formatted to be a normal edit box. I can't seem to wrap my neutron around this one. Any of you seen this behaviour before ?!

Thank you for your help,

Jan

• 1. Re: Number format struggles ...
          philmodjunk

If the field is formatted to use radio buttons, the data formatting has no effect on the value displayed. A radio button will display as selected only if the value in the field exactly matches a value in the value list. I suspect that you have a value list value such as:

2,000.00 and a field value of 2000 and thus the radio button does not show as selected.

• 2. Re: Number format struggles ...
            jabs.far

Thank you Phil,

I tried again, although I understand what you are saying. And it really is not working ! The point is that all entry in the fields concerned is ValueList dictated. Pick a number from a Checkbox set of listed numbers. It now seems to me that the trick is that I defined the field as "number" fields. I checked, and (surprisingly to me) scripted transfer from TMP fields does not work. The target field (checkbox set, number also, same value list) remains empty ! When I define the number fields as "text", it works. I did not want to do that at first, since I need the numbers in (simple) calculations afterwards. I guess I should now go by Get(AsNumber) from these fields, for the subsequent calcs ?!

Thanks again,

Jan

• 3. Re: Number format struggles ...
              philmodjunk

Yes, and that was my point. Your first field enters text and numeric characters such as $1,000.00, but stores 1000. Your script then transfers 1000 to the other field and this value does not match the value list value of $1,000.00 and thus the radio button does not appear selected.

• 4. Re: Number format struggles ...
                jabs.far

Me dumb ... So, I could have gotten it all working, had I used GetAsText for collecting data from the TMP field ...

Thank you very much, my lack of basics is revealing,

Jan