8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2010 5:24 AM by comment_1

Number format/display query.

HugoLidia

Title

Number format/display query.

Using Windows XP SP3 & FMP 10 

We have a number field which I've only just noticed quite happily accpets 120.00 or 120,00

Depending upon which country one lives in one is correct and one is incorrect.  Does FMP automatically allow both or is this an FMP error?

Also, if user enters 12 how does one ensure this is displayed as 12.00 or must they enter 1200, but again how does one control the display as 12.00

• 1. Re: Number format/display query.
          philmodjunk

There are file options that can affect this. Check out File Options | Text.

You can change the format seen when the layout is printed or viewed through Format Number...

• 2. Re: Number format/display query.
            comment_1

HugoLidia wrote:

We have a number field which I've only just noticed quite happily accpets 120.00 or 120,00

It "accepts" both - but only one of them will be interpreted as decimal separator. Filemaker is quite tolerant regarding data types - in fact, a number field will accept any character. Set up validation if you must enforce numeric only input.

• 3. Re: Number format/display query.
              HugoLidia

The Format Number controls the way the value is displayed and can force 929 to be displayed as 929,00 but where can I control if the comma or full stop or both can be used as decimal separator.  Changing this in Format Number means 929.00 (from numeric key pad or rest of keyboard) is displayed as ?, but 929,00 is accepted and displayed correctly.  Suspect Filemaker uses Operating System Regional & Language Option settings and this cannot be overridden.

On testing this further it must be a bug in Filemaker, because if User is setup in Spain then keyboard values should be converted to commas as decimal separator automatically.  They obviously cant change their keyboard setup just for Fielmaker as all other local programs do not work correctly e.g. excel & importing spreadsheets.

• 4. Re: Number format/display query.
                comment_1
                   Format > Number… controls display only. Data entry is interpreted by the settings in use - these can be either the settings stored in the file (inherited from the OS when the file was created) or the current system settings (as set in File Options).
                • 5. Re: Number format/display query.
                  HugoLidia
                     comment I understand what you've restated.  My point is that given a system is set up for a Spanish keyboard, surely Filemaker should then interpret the decimal point on the keypad as a comma, as it is in excel and not accept the input but then display it incorrectly.
                  • 6. Re: Number format/display query.
                    comment_1
                       I've been trying to say that the tools are there and it's your responsibility to make it so.
                    • 7. Re: Number format/display query.
                      HugoLidia
                         Sorry comment but you are wrong.  If the operating system is set for a country's input then the full stop on the keypad should be correctly interpreted, as it is in MS Office and most other applications.  It should not need to be captured, translated and displayed by FM 
                      • 8. Re: Number format/display query.
                        comment_1
                           IMHO, if the system settings specify comma as the decimal separator, then the keyboard should send a comma when user presses the "dot" key on the numeric pad. If it sends a period, then Filemaker must assume that's the desired character (it's the same code as the "regular" period key). As stated before, Filemaker DOES accept any character into a number field. If that's being wrong, so be it.