6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2011 3:33 PM by ClaySchoonover

Number of People

ClaySchoonover

Title

Number of People

I hope I explain this ok. My company had a program built from filemaker pro for trade shows. It is used to scan in people and be able to see what day and what time they come each day. I would like to add a field that would allow me to put a number in it that represents how many people our in each party for each individual day. If day 1 and day 2 have a different amount of people in the same party then each day would show for just that day.

Thanks for the help.

• 1. Re: Number of People
          philmodjunk

Can you explain that in more detail?

Can't tell from your description exactly how you are recording the basic data. One record for each individual each time they enter the trade show? One record for each group? or?

• 2. Re: Number of People
            ClaySchoonover

One record for ever group of the same party.  I will explain this way we are a distribution center and we have dealers that come to our shows. When they get to our show, I give them a badge and then scan them into the program. The program has button (called Todays Date) when I hit that button it gives me the current date. Then I have 5 buttons (called Current Time) that gives me the current time. Now the reason for the 5 buttons is so that I can keep up with what dealer came on what day at what time. I would like to add a place that when i scan the dealer in i could manually put in how many are in there party. I would also like to have it put that number in the report along side the dealer it was signed in with. I could send screen shots if that would help.

• 3. Re: Number of People
              philmodjunk

More important than screen shots is a better understanding of what will be found in your database when you Open Manage | Database

Sounds like you have one record for each group attending the show with either 5 time fields or one time field with 5 repetitions for recording the check in time. But this could be one record for each day that a given group attends the show--which would be a better design as it would work equally well for shows that are two days long and for shows that are two weeks in length...

You can certainly open up Manage | Database | Fields and define a new number field for entering the number of people in the group that is checking in. Depending on how the database is designed, you may need 5 such fields/repetitions or just 1 field.

Once you have defined your fields(s) you can place it on both your check in and report layouts. You can also devise calculations that compute a total or average attending for the day or for the show. The details of how you would create such calculations depends on how this database is structured.

• 4. Re: Number of People
                ClaySchoonover

Ok I think you are heading me in the right direction let me try a couple of thinks and see what happens. As for the buttons there are 5 each named a different name. Todays Date (on check-in screen) points to Date Arrived (on report screen. (Button 1) called Current Time (on check-in screen) points to First Time (on report screen). (Button 2) called Current Time (on check-in screen) points to Second Time (on report screen). (Button 3) called Current Time (on check-in screen) points to Third Time (on report screen). (Button 4) called Current Time (on check-in screen) points to Fourth Time (on report screen). (Button 5) called Current Time (on check-in screen) points to Fith Time (on report screen).

• 5. Re: Number of People
                  philmodjunk

Todays Date (on check-in screen) points to Date Arrived (on report screen. (Button 1) called Current Time (on check-in screen) points to First Time (on report screen). (Button 2) called Current Time (on check-in screen) points to Second Time (on report screen). (Button 3) called Current Time (on check-in screen) points to Third Time (on report screen). (Button 4) called Current Time (on check-in screen) points to Fourth Time (on report screen). (Button 5) called Current Time (on check-in screen) points to Fith Time (on report screen).

That's pretty much what I understood from your earlier post, but it doesn't tell me how the table or tables that this layout refers to is structured. That setup suggests that you have either 5 fields or 5 field repetitions, but it could also be a portal (even 5 1 row portals) with 5 different related records.

• 6. Re: Number of People
                    ClaySchoonover

I appreciate you trying to help. I will keep at it and hopefully learn something in the process. LOL Again thanks for your support.