9 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2015 2:42 AM by mike.goss@citta.co.uk

Number of Records

mike.goss@citta.co.uk

Title

Number of Records

When I File | Manage | Database | Tables tab each table is listed along with a description "x fields, y records"

What precisely does "y records" indicate?

I have a script that imports from one set of tables in one database to the same set in a copy database. All appears to be fine, but when I compare the number of records the destination database has fewer records in some tables. I would have expected it to have the same number of records in all tables.

Mike

• 1. Re: Number of Records
          mike.goss@citta.co.uk

I think I've moved on.

Can someone confirm the following for me:

When you import from a Table in one Database to another Table in another Database only the Current Found Set in the source database are imported.

If that is the case, is there a simple way of Selecting All Records in All Databases?

Mike

• 2. Re: Number of Records
            symbister

Hi Mike

try the attached - goes through each layout, and shows all records...

• 3. Re: Number of Records
              mike.goss@citta.co.uk

OK, it looks better that what I hd planned, thanks.

Mike

• 4. Re: Number of Records
                philmodjunk

If the file is open at the time a script does Import Records the found set of the specified source table occurrence is imported. If the file is not open, the same script step imports all records.

• 5. Re: Number of Records
                  mike.goss@citta.co.uk

Ah, now, I have already been there.

If the database containing the source table is not already open when the Import script step runs you are prompted for the user name and password. If, as this case, a number of tables are to be imported then one is prompted for each step.

I placed an Open at the start of the script and that doesn't prompt for User Name and Password at all (the source has the same user and password as the target)

• 6. Re: Number of Records
                    mike.goss@citta.co.uk

The question I need an answer to now is how can I prevent FileMaker asking me for a user and password every import step in a script?

If I plave an Open at the start of the script, it doesn't prompt for a user and password, but only imports the last found set in each table, if I don't have the Open SCript step the script pauses every import step to ask for use and password.

Help?

• 7. Re: Number of Records
                      philmodjunk

I thought that I had posted an answer here already, but now do not see it...

You have only the following options as far as I know:

Perform a script located in the source file that does a show all records on one layout for each table from which you are going to import records. This script can be performed from a script or button in your target file.

Remove the password protection from the source file.

Keep entering the account name and password as you are now.

If memory serves, you replied to me the last time that I made this suggestion that the source file was a run time file and thus could not be modified. But run time files CAN be modified if you can open the file from FileMaker with a full access password.

• 8. Re: Number of Records
                        mike.goss@citta.co.uk

OK - I'll have a go at option 1.

Thanks

• 9. Re: Number of Records
                          mike.goss@citta.co.uk

I know it is nearly a year since I last posted, but I have had time off for a heart operation and have only just got back to this....

How do I remove password protection from the source file?

I can create an account that has no password, but I am still prompted for user name and password on every Import step in the script. Having no password speeds up the operation (press Enter each time, rather enter a password and press Enter) but it would be better if I was not prompted at all.

Mike