1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 29, 2009 12:24 PM by davidanders

nutshell database help

bob5731

Title

nutshell database help

Hi 

I am looking for a way to convert Nutshell database files (.db) into standard database (.dbf) files. Is there a conversion program available, preferably free?
      I'm new to it.

• 1. Re: nutshell database help
          davidanders

A copy of an answer from 2005

First, I recommend that you buy a new computer with Windows XP, and don’t look back. The hassle of trying to run Windows 98 in parallel is going to be worse than making the leap to XP. You have to make the break some time.

The Nutshell database program is a throwback to the world of MS-DOS and early Macintosh operating systems. I’m sure you can run it under Windows XP in some form, but again, it would be a hassle.

Nutshell lives on in the form of the FileMaker line of database programs. You can check out these products at www.filemaker.com. While you are there, contact the company and explain your problems with converting from the older database, and ask the techs’ advice on an upgrade path.

If you don’t have time and would rather throw money at the problem, then hire someone to do it for you. Pivar advertises on its Web site (www.pivar.com) that it can convert Nutshell files for you.

Another source of help is the FileMaker Café, where users pitch in to provide advice on just about any FileMaker-related topics, including upgrade paths. You should find an answer there at www.maclane.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php—though you might have to endure some jests about living in the Dark Ages!

Finally, there is the brute-force way of converting files. Nutshell has an export function that can write out the database records with commas delimiting the fields within the records. Most modern database programs should be able to import this comma-delimited file.

It might take a few tries to get it right. The biggest problem is getting the fields misaligned. You might have to start over a few times, but once it’s done, you are good to go with an up-to-date database program and all your records intact.

If you have a few records that just don’t fall into the right fields, you can always edit the comma-delimited file. It’s just a text file, and WordPad should handle it nicely.