8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2012 11:34 AM by philmodjunk

Object Sliding - I cannot make it work - HELP ! please

alanfair

Title

Object Sliding - I cannot make it work - HELP ! please

I have a layout, see below , the first image.

The larger boxes are container fields which do or dont contain images.

The smaller fields are calculated files that are blank if there is no image in the container field , or say Appendix 1.1 or Appendix 1.2 etc

I basically want everything to slid up and left if there are no images. in my example there are images in containers 1,3,4 and 6, but the containers are not sliding left or up to fill the gaps where container 2 and 5 are, with no pictures. (see bottom image)

This begs the question do container fields slid.  The text boxes appear to have slid.

What I want to achieve (whilst i still have hair !), is for example say there were images in container 1 and container 6, they would appear next to each other on the first line of images on the report.

Help................................

report.jpg

• 1. Re: Object Sliding - I cannot make it work - HELP ! please
          philmodjunk

Enter layout mode. Select the container fields and then use data formatting on the data tab to specify that the container fields have "top" and "left" internal alignment. They should then slide up and left.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11.           Fields will slide up only if Top, alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if left alignment is specified.
          13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          • 2. Re: Object Sliding - I cannot make it work - HELP ! please
            alanfair

You are a star, my images now move !!

One final question, the text below each image, i need this to move with the image and stay underneath the correct image. At present as you can see in my example its all moved left and is not under the image.

Or is there a better way to print some text associated with a container field.

Many thanks

• 3. Re: Object Sliding - I cannot make it work - HELP ! please
              philmodjunk

Hmmm,

I think I'd use a series of one row portals where the images and their titles each come from a different related records. The portals would be set to show a different "initial row" and thus only the last portal's on the layout may be empty. The portals can then be set to slide up and reduce enclosing space with no slide left option needed.

• 4. Re: Object Sliding - I cannot make it work - HELP ! please
                alanfair

I was thinking, that as I control the contents of the of the text items, it if there is no data in the container field they are blank, if the is data, they say appendix 1.1 or appendix 1.2, etc depending on the image.

Could I not pack the text out with sufficient characters, to make the lenght the same width as container field.  Thus is will move but not shrink is size, making the text stay under the image.

This begs the question of what characters i should back it with, that will not print, but will be seen as characters by the applicatio

• 5. Re: Object Sliding - I cannot make it work - HELP ! please
                  alanfair

This is still driving me up the wall.   I have simplified the layout, so basically I have say 10 containers that can contain images or not, 2 per page , in the body of my report.

They are arranged underneath each other 2 per page . All i want is if say there is no picture in container, 3 and 4 all the other images scroll up to replace their positions.

I get scrolling up, but the net result is the images start breaking across the page break.  I need to maintain, 2 images per page beneth each other, this does not seem to happen, I guess white space is comeing into the equation.

So the question is how do i do the above, or how do i stop the image breaking across the page break.

Sorry to be such a pain, but the bit of the application i though would be the easy bit, is turning into a nightmare .

• 6. Re: Object Sliding - I cannot make it work - HELP ! please
                    philmodjunk

Any time you have multiple items of data of the same type in separate fields of the same record such as your images in container fields, consider moving the data into individual records in a related table. This opens the door for setups with a great deal more flexibility.

• 7. Re: Object Sliding - I cannot make it work - HELP ! please
                      alanfair

ok, if i move the images into a seperate file, I assume one record per image, can you give me some pointers as to how i go about then printing them say two per page, without, the images breaking across a page within the body of a report, that initally contains other items., or direct me to any forum details on this

Many thanks

• 8. Re: Object Sliding - I cannot make it work - HELP ! please
                        philmodjunk

Once you have a relationship that works such as:

MainTable::PrimaryKey = Images::ForeignKey

A portal to Images on your MainTable layout will list all images records (and their container fields) where the value in ForeignKey matches the value in PrimaryKey.

If you then place a portal to images on your layout and specify "initial row: 1", "number of rows: 1", the portal will display only the first related record and you can resize the portal row to place the container field above your caption field. If you then make a copy of this portal and the fields it contains and place the copy next to the original, you can then double click it to open portal set up where you can change the initial row setting to 2. This portal will now show the second related image record. You can then repeat this process for as many images as you need just changing the initial row setting by one each time. This trick by the way, is often called a "horizontal Portal".