6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2014 8:18 AM by bk1

Objects displayed in portals

bk1

Title

Objects displayed in portals

An object placed in the first row of a portal in a layout is displayed once for each related record and once for the next available portal row. Is it possible to hide the objects until a related record is actually created?

• 1. Re: Objects displayed in portals
          philmodjunk

In FileMaker 13, yes. The Hide When property in the inspector can be used to hide the object when this is the bottom "add" row of a portal.

In earlier versions, this can be done if the object is layout text by using conditional formatting, but not for graphic objects.

• 2. Re: Objects displayed in portals
            bk1

Thanks. I haven't upgraded to FileMaker 13 - as of now I have FileMaker 12. I am trying to hide layout text and couldn't come up with a formula in conditional formatting that would work. Can you please help me with that?

• 3. Re: Objects displayed in portals
              philmodjunk

Let's say that your relationship looks like this:

LayoutTable::PrimaryKey = PortalTable::ForeignKey

You can select that layout text while in layout mode and specify the following conditional format expression:

IsEmpty ( PortalTable::ForeignKey ) // You can refer to any field in your portal's table that is never empty and this works

Then click the "additional formatting" button and specify a very large font size. If your text is a single row in the 12-14 range a size of 120+ points will be large enough to make the text disappear entirely.

I put a red X in the portal row for deleting portal row records in may of my DB's. You can see working examples of this method in my Known Bugs List Database as well as a delete portal row script that you can import error free into any FileMaker database file (all the table specific data is passed as a script parameter).

• 4. Re: Objects displayed in portals
                bk1

This worked great to hide the layout text (field labels)! But is there a way to make the text show in Find mode? (I'm looking into importing the delete portal row script - thanks for all your tips)

• 5. Re: Objects displayed in portals
                  philmodjunk

Get ( windowMode ) =  0 AND IsEmpty ( PortalTable::ForeignKey )

• 6. Re: Objects displayed in portals
                    bk1

Wonderful! Thank you very much!