6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2009 3:17 AM by comment_1

ODBC AND .CSV

beckett85_1

Title

ODBC AND .CSV

just a quick question, i havnt done much sql before im quick to pick up on it, i have a massive database and am setting it up to access a .csv file from an ftp site, access the data and then delete the file, obviously pretty simple, which odbc driver should i select? just sql? thanks in advance, hopefully its clear what i need to do

• 1. Re: ODBC AND .CSV
          TSGal

beckett85:

Thank you for your post.

The ODBC file will allow you access other database files.  If you have a .csv file, there is no need for the ODBC driver.  Just use FileMaker and import from the remote file.  To delete the file, you will need to make a system call (Applescript, shell script, batch file, etc.).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: ODBC AND .CSV
            beckett85_1

is there a way to put the web address into a script? for example ive got a csv file hosten but i cant get it into a script because it says file namedoesnt exist etc

• 3. Re: ODBC AND .CSV
              TSGal

beckett85:

There is an Open URL script command that opens a URL.  Is that what you are looking for?

Once the URL is open, what did you want to do?  Is there a file hosted there?  Did you want to download the file?  It may be easier if you tell me exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: ODBC AND .CSV
                beckett85_1
                   i was going to try and get answers one step at a time but ill give it a shot, basically access an ftp site, import a file (called registrations.csv) import the matching field names into the database then delete the file from the server, this has to be done regularly, same site same server each time etc
                • 5. Re: ODBC AND .CSV
                  beckett85_1
                     any ideas?
                  • 6. Re: ODBC AND .CSV
                    comment_1

Filemaker cannot import a remote .csv file directly. You could either use a plugin with FTP capabilities, or - of you are on OS X - Applescript, to download the file, then import it (this could all be scripted from within Filemaker, as a single process).

Another option is to make the file available as XML. This is the only format that Filemaker can import from a remote source (I am not 100% sure about FTP, but HTTP is certainly possible). However, Filemaker won't be able to delete the file - though I guess that could (and probably should) be handled on the server side.

---

BTW, this has nothing to do with ODBC. You use ODBC to connect to external database APPLICATIONS, not to text files.