7 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2015 12:52 AM by BertSteinebach

ODBC connection

Fagreement

Title

ODBC connection

I have a question about the External Data Source:

I already set an ODBC connection and everything worked well, i don't know why it is not working now !!!

I created in wondows an ODBC connection, both in USER DSN and System DSN.

In FM, I have turning on the network sharing, and the ODBC sharing settings.

Now in manage EDS, when I make new DS, I choose the ODBC, when i click on specify in the pop up i cannot see any of my datasources !

• 1. Re: ODBC connection
          Fagreement

hello?

• 2. Re: ODBC connection
            Sorbsbuster

If you open an Excel document, can it access the ODBC link you are referring to?

• 3. Re: ODBC connection
              Fagreement

yes i can access it aand retrive data from xls

• 4. Re: ODBC connection
                Sorbsbuster

Hmm: rather points the finger at FM, then.  BTW: I don't think you have to turn on sharing or the ODBC sharing settings - is that not just to allow the FM file to be an ODBC source?  Are you adding it as an external data source in File -> Manage -> Data sources first, or are you trying to add it directly from the relationship graph?

Note that there is a limited range of ODBC sources that FM will allow to be added as an Extrernal Source.  They are:

Oracle 9i
                 •
                Oracle 10g
                 •
                Oracle 11g
                 •
                SQL Server 2000
                 •
                SQL Server 2005
                 •
                SQL Server 2008
                 •
                MySQL 5.0 Community Edition (free)
                 •
                MySQL 5.1 Community Edition (free)

That is not to say you can't import the data from the source (like Excel is doing), it just means you can't add the source in to your Relationship diagram.  (I think.)

(You can tell I am only trying to think of various ways to look at the problem to see if we can spot something odd.)

• 5. Re: ODBC connection
                  Fagreement

it turn me crazy this matter:

i created an odbc cx from the control pannel, test it fine. in FM i cannot see the source.

note that i have already similar odbc connection to sql server and it works fine. what i'm doing now it'is exactely the same but with anathor database.

any way, i created a new FM database and i tried to conenct to the ODBC that is already worked but i cannot see it in FM !

• 6. Re: ODBC connection
                    Fagreement

hello?

• 7. Re: ODBC connection
                      BertSteinebach

I have exactly the same issue. Having the latest version of FM pro advanced.
                      I want to connect i.e. to mysql.
                      I have installed the lastest ODBC driver (5.3) of MySQl.

In the manual of FM it says that the version 5.2.5 (for 64-bit) is support. But is that the why?
                      In every other programm the DSN's are visual and can be used. Only not in FM

I spended many hours, no result. Is this a bug in FM?