3 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2015 8:13 AM by philmodjunk

ODBC import troubles

ThomasSemeta

Title

ODBC import troubles

I'm new to filmmaker and have a feeling I'm way over my head in this.  I'm importing a spreadsheet from google sheets into my filemaker pro database (I run a non profit summer camp for kids).  Besides the field's I'm importing I've created few extra fields in the filemaker table for each record (for office use).  The problem is those new fields would not stick with the records and every time import the more updated version from google sheets it rearranges and the fields outside the source file are not included.   What's the best way to tackle this so I can import from google sheet but still be able to manipulate some other fields and have them stick with each record?  Any help would be much appreciated as I'm stuck beyond stuck.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: ODBC import troubles
          philmodjunk

Is there a field in the spreadsheet file that uniquely identifies each row of data in that file? If so, it may be possible to set up an "update matching" type of import where this unique identifier is selected as a match field so that re-importing the same data matches it back up with the previously imported copy of the same data.

• 2. Re: ODBC import troubles
            ThomasSemeta

Yes, I do have auto-enter serial number for each record upon import.  However, since my google sheet source does not have the id field, my source id get reshuffled after the import so each record ends up with a different serial id.  Is there a way to 'lock' that id field so it stays with the record? Or is there a way to omit previously imported records from the new import and only import new fields?

• 3. Re: ODBC import troubles
              philmodjunk

You misunderstood my question. Is there a unique identifier of any kind in the Spreadsheet? If there is such data--even if just a name field, then my suggestion will work.

There is an update existing records option that might serve, but would need to be used with extreme care as a change in record order in either file will produce a major data mismatch on you. Better to match by an ID if you can come up with one in the spread sheet file.