4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2009 11:10 AM by dsimpson

ODBC Test Connect Problem

t_theodorou

Title

ODBC Test Connect Problem

Hi to all,

I'm using Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 and trying to make an ODBC Connection. I followed the steps described in ODBC and JDBC Guide. The problem is that when I press the Test Connect button it returns the following error message:

Sequelink Error: 2217  

[DataDirect][ODBC SequeLink driver][SequeLink Client]Network problem, session aborted due to internal error in remote procedure call, connection closed

The database is open at the time I'm trying to connect and it is hosted at the same computer from which I'm trying to connect. I did a User DSN connection but the same happens if I do a System or a File DSN.

For the history:

Before I purchased Filemaker Pro Advanced I had the Filemaker Pro trial and the connection worked fine. I uninstalled Filemaker Pro trial as well as the Sequelink ODBC Driver and then installed the purchased program. At first, when I tried to make the DSN Connection, when I pushed the Browse button next to Server Data Source it returned a TCP/IP error even though the database was open and shared through ODBC for All Users. After some searches at the Forum I found that in order the ODBC sharing to work, the ddfmsoc.exe should be running. That was not happening at my computer and when I tried running it manually through the Program Files installation directory, it was returning an error saying that the WRServices.dll could not be found. In fact, the WRServices.dll was at the "C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced" directory. When I copied it to the "C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced\Extensions\xDBC Support\bin" directory where the ddfmsoc.exe is, then ddfmsoc.exe appeared at WinXP Task Manager and when I pushed the Browse button next to Server Data Source for the ODBC connection I could see the databases that were open.

Now the problem is the one that I described at the start of the message.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanos

Greece 

• 1. Re: ODBC Test Connect Problem
          dsimpson

Thanos,

You might review some of the ODBC driver installation steps I have written in the Access to FmPro Procedure PDF file, in which I have listed instructions for installing the FileMaker ODBC driver, along with info concerning how to create the ODBC DSN.

It is likely that you have already done these steps previously, but it doesn't hurt to take a look. The ODBC info is listed starting on p14.

But if you have already done these steps and they still don't work, then I recommend:

1) Turn ODBC Sharing Off then On in FileMaker.

2) Quit and restart FileMaker.

3) Restart your computer. Sometimes, these FileMaker ODBC issues require a computer restart in order to fix the problem. Then you may find that everything works perfectly after you restart.

David Simpson

www.fmpromigrator.com 

Access to FmPro Procedure PDF

Web Page Link to PDF

• 2. Re: ODBC Test Connect Problem
            t_theodorou

Thanks for your answer.

I did all the steps you describe at the pdf again but nothing good happened.

Anyway, I reinstalled the Filemaker Pro trial. The Test Connect works fine!!!! I did nothing more or less than before. It is the same DSN that I use for the Filemaker Advanced. If I open the database with Filemaker Pro trial it connects without a problem, but if I open it with Filemaker Pro Advanced it can't connect!!!

As you see at my first post, under the "For the history",  I had this problem with the ddfmsoc.exe file which I believe it shouldn't come up. It seems like something is wrong with the installation procedure and that affects ODBC Connection. I tried reinstall Filemaker Pro Advanced but nothing happened again. I'm afraid that there is something wrong with the installation in general, like a bug or something.

I'm trying to figure this out. If I have any news I will post back.

I forgot to mention at the first post that I'm running WinXP. 

• 3. Re: ODBC Test Connect Problem
              t_theodorou

OK, Look what I did!!

I copied all the files from "C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 10\Extensions\xDBC Support\bin" folder

to "C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced\Extensions\xDBC Support\bin" folder.

The first one is the folder that the trial installation creates and the second one is from the Filemaker Pro Advanced installation. I saw that the files that were in the Advanced installation folder (Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3) were older than the files that were at the trial's folder(Filemaker Pro 10.v3). The Advanced files were from 2/6/2009 (that is 2 June 2009 here in Greece) and the files from the trial folder was from 18/6/2009. I copied all of them and now the Test Connect is OK!!!!

Solved!! 

• 4. Re: ODBC Test Connect Problem
                dsimpson

Wow, great troubleshooting!

I have not heard of this type of problem occurring previously. I am glad that you got it working. And you already had the 10v3 version, so there would have been no reason to run the updater either.

David Simpson

www.fmpromigrator.com