6 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2011 2:37 PM by kylelouie

Odd printing problem

kylelouie

Title

Odd printing problem

Hello,

I am new to the forums but have been using Filemaker Pro for some time now. I have Filemaker Pro 9 installed and updated to the latest v3 update. For some reason I am having a printing problem with specific file and the documents containd within. When I try and print documents within the problem file it prints complete gibberish in every field. However the gibberish is consistant, meaning that every letter "e" will become a "g" and every "o" will become a "/" ect. I have noticed that every filed in the problem file has no font selected eventhough there is lettering in the field. Also if i select the field I can change the font and then that field will print correctly while the rest remains garrbled. This would seem to be the solution however this fix is not practical for me as I have hundreds of documents in the files. Is there any command that I can use to select every filed in each document and change it? I have updated and tried different print drivers with to no avail. Any help would be geatly appreciated.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Odd printing problem
          raybaudi

Hi

while in Layout Mode, select ALL your layout's fields and format them to use a specific font.

That must be all you'll need.

• 2. Re: Odd printing problem
            LaRetta_1

"I have noticed that every filed in the problem file has no font selected eventhough there is lettering in the field."

This usually indicates that your computer does not have the font used in your layouts.  It might be easier to add this font to your computer fonts.

• 3. Re: Odd printing problem
              kylelouie

Thank you both for your responses.

Raybaudi: I have tried "ctrl a" on documents but it only selects everything in a specific field, not the entire document, is there a different way to select all layout fields? 

Regarding LaRetta's post, where and how would I add the fonts to the computer? Is there a download from Filemaker pro for this?

• 4. Re: Odd printing problem
                raybaudi

"Raybaudi: I have tried "ctrl a" on documents but it only selects everything in a specific field, not the entire document, is there a different way to select all layout fields?"

Yes, as I said, you have to enter LAYOUT MODE and only then select all fields.

• 5. Re: Odd printing problem
                  LaRetta_1

"where and how would I add the fonts to the computer? "

This does not come from FileMaker.  Your computer comes pre-configured with fonts.  If you are using a font that is not loaded on your computer, and if FM cannot find a close font to replace it with, it will produce the effects you see.   If on Windows, go to Settings > Control Panel > Fonts folder.  Then select File > Install new font.

• 6. Re: Odd printing problem
                    kylelouie

The font of the document was "times" so adding the font did not fix the problem. However now i beleive that the document itself is the problem. When I am in layout mode, select all and try to change the font of all the fields, a popup comes up saying that parts of the document were not changed because the document is locked. So i have contacted the creator of the document. Also would any problem arise with older FM documents? The document I am having issues with is an older document. Im guessing that the creator was using an older version of FM to create the document. Would using an older FM cause problems?