3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2009 6:49 PM by sureideas

OK to install both Mac and Windows?

TimO1

Title

OK to install both Mac and Windows?

I currently have FM Pro 7 Windows, single user version. With a new MacBook Pro I'd like to upgrade to 10 Pro (actually a full purchase for me :(  ). With one installation CD can I install Windows on the old desktop and Mac on the laptop that travels with me (yes, I know I can use BootCamp or Fusion to provide Vista on the Mac...but I'd rather not do that).

I realize there are some functionality differences between the two platforms that could affect how I construct the database...but I don't see that as a big problem.

Thanks,

Tim

• 1. Re: OK to install both Mac and Windows?
          TSGal

TimO:

Yes, you can install FileMaker Pro on both machines.  The only problem is if you are on a network and you try to launch both applications at the same time.  One would be denied because it would see the license key being used on the other computer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: OK to install both Mac and Windows?
            TimO1

TSGal,

Thanks for the prompt reply. It got me thinking...why not try installing FM Pro 7 on the Mac laptop, both OS X 10.5 and Vista via BootCamp. FM Pro 7 was an upgrade box (I think from a Mac 4.0 or 4.1 product); both platforms look for the already installed FM Pro 6 (which it won't find); inputting the 35 digit Ver. 6 alpha/numeric key supplied by FileMaker doesn't work.

I realize I'm in the "way-back" mode here; just thought I'd give it a try.

Thanks,

Tim

• 3. Re: OK to install both Mac and Windows?
              sureideas
                 I've been running windows exclusively for about half a year on my macbook. It's very safe, I haven't had any problems.Everything works fine