5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2011 10:03 AM by philmodjunk

Old records change

DanaKlassen

Title

Old records change

Extreme newbie, be kind.  I have a member database containing names, addresses, employee ID, phone, job descripton, level, etc.  I use another database to write records, grievance software for the Union.  I have them linked so when I input the employee ID in grievance database it imports the employee information from members database.  If an employees information in members database changes I don't want any of the old records in grievance database to change, but they do.  How do I stop the old records from changing?

• 1. Re: Old records change
          philmodjunk

Sounds like you have a dynamic link to the related data rather than a static link. A static link use one method or another to copy the data while a dynamic link (typically implemented by adding fields from the releated table to a layout based on the other table) is a "live" link that changes each time the related data is updated.

Here's a discussion of the two methods. In includes a description of how to implement look ups to get a static link to your data:

Auto Fill

• 2. Re: Old records change
            DanaKlassen

Thanks Phil,

I understand the difference, but I think thats what I have done.  The 2 are linked by relationship of EID (employee ID), the auto filled in grievance is set to look up value from members.  But when I change either database the other changes as well.  Sorry if I don't understand how to change this.

• 3. Re: Old records change
              philmodjunk

I don't see how that is possible. If you are using auto enter field options such as Looked up value to copy the data from one table to the other, then the data will not update automatically unless some additional action is taken to trigger a "relookup" of the data.

• 4. Re: Old records change
                DanaKlassen

I'm totally new to this, these databases were sent to us 10 years ago, throughout the years they have been destroyed by various new officers.  I'm trying to make them functional again.  In each database there is only 1 table.  I have them looking up the information by field from one database to the other.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to explain the actual set up good enough to get an appropriate answer.  Is it possible to pay someone to fix these if I sent them the files?

• 5. Re: Old records change
                  philmodjunk

You'll note that my Avatar graphic contains the name "Caulkins Consulting". If you would like to hire my services, click it and send me a private message and I'll respond with the pertinant details. Others here can also do this work, don't feel you have to use my services if you don't want to. In fact, there's a consultants link you can investigate at the top of this screen.