9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2013 2:39 PM by philmodjunk

Omitting value list (Renewed)

Matty_1

Title

Omitting value list (Renewed)

HI there,

I'm re-posting a link to an old thread on omitting value lists that just isn't clicking for me.  I've put it off for some time now and revisiting it now still has me confused.  I'm wondering if I should consider uploading a file if someone is willing to have a look.  There are several elements involved in making this drop function properly and I'm thinking seeing the files themselves might be a better option.

Phil, I was originally in contact with you in regards to this.  Would you be willing to have a look?

Here's the original thread:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/d32af4ba87?page=1

• 1. Re: Omitting value list (Renewed)
          philmodjunk

"just isn't clicking for me" doesn't tell me much about how it isn't working for you. Examining your files might not help much as we could easily misunderstand exactly what you are trying to do, but it's certainly possible to upload to a file sharing site such as Drop Box and then you can post the download link here. (And you can use the "chain" icon at top left of the Post A Answer tool bar to make it a "live" hyperlink.)

• 2. Re: Omitting value list (Renewed)
            Matty_1

Fair enough, I'm certainly not being clear.

There are two main things that aren't clicking for me.  First, I still don't see where the date plays into the relationships although you've already told me that it does if I follow your instructions in the previous post.  I've tried to figure it out and I can't.

Second, I don't know how I will be able to incorporate more then one date into the relationship.  You said that I require a relationship to a singleDispatchCentral record from RunDetails but the point of RunDetails is to allow a link between different DispatchCentral records on the same or different dates.  Think of it as this, our drivers leave our terminal with a package to deliver in another province so we need to find them a return load as well to make the work financially viable.  We want to see the two jobs as individual work but linked by the run details.  If I change the driver name in one it changes in the other.  The tough part is this: if a driver needs to complete a job on a Monday and then gets linked to a return job on Tuesday the drop down needs to take into account all dates and display what units are left.  If unit 1 is in the shop on Monday, unit 2 on Tuesday and unit 3 on Wednesday then I should only see unit 3 when I'm trying to book a unit in for the Monday-Tuesday example.  That's why I'm thinking a file upload might be the only way out of this one.

You also mentioned potentially having to build an entirely new Anchor Buoy to achieve this and I wouldn't even know where to start at this point because I still haven't wrapped my head around the other two issues.

• 3. Re: Omitting value list (Renewed)
              Matty_1

So what I've done is uploaded the UI file and database for the dispatch portion to dropbox, which is the more abstract piece of the puzzle in my opinion.  I have HAVE NOT included the calendar and asset data bases because I'm thinking just poking around with this might be enough to understand where I'm coming from and where I need to go.  Let me know, THANK YOU!

• 4. Re: Omitting value list (Renewed)
                philmodjunk

Think of it as this, our drivers leave our terminal with a package to deliver in another province so we need to find them a return load as well to make the work financially viable.  We want to see the two jobs as individual work but linked by the run details.

Yes, but doesn't that result in TWO run details records, one record for the trip out and one for the return leg?

• 5. Re: Omitting value list (Renewed)
                  Matty_1

No it results in two dispatch central records, these are the "transaction records".  Then the DispatchCentral records have a RunDetails MATCH FIELD that share whatever serial number you save.  I did this because one round trip could technically be any number of drop and pick up locations and although most of the time it's only one or two there are examples of more.

• 6. Re: Omitting value list (Renewed)
                    philmodjunk

Ok, wanted to clarify that detail before I took a closer look. If I don't have the basic concept behind how each table functions, I'll just end up "floundering" when I examine your current file.

• 7. Re: Omitting value list (Renewed)
                      Matty_1

Yes of course, thank you Phil!

• 8. Re: Omitting value list (Renewed)
                        Matty_1

Good morning Phil, just checking in to see if you've been able to crack the file open and have a look?

• 9. Re: Omitting value list (Renewed)
                          philmodjunk

I have downloaded the file and have started looking at it, but it's been a while since the original thread and I am having to slowly "reverse engineer" your basic design. Expect a list of questions about how your layouts/tables/etc. are supposed to function in the near future...