AnsweredAssumed Answered

On line data input

Question asked by MIkeHilson on Sep 3, 2009
Latest reply on Sep 14, 2009 by comment_1

Title

On line data input

I've never used filemaker before and need to know whether it can handle the specific means of input that I need.

Perhaps someone can confirm that this will work.

I am building a database locally that will include information from customers that have problems with their orders.  Data will be entered into this database from information collected during a phone call; additional data will be entered locally at various times as order problems are investigated and solved and replcement orders are shipped.

We deal with thousands of orders and a smallmber have minor problems.  Because of the nature of our business it would be convenient to have customers enter their initial order problems and related data directly into an online copy of the data entry form.  Internally we would then be able to add data as problems are solved.

As I understand the help file in Filemaker pro 10, this can be done.  What I am uncertain of is that if one individual fills out an online form (with restrictions as to which fields can be used), can a second or third or more individual(s) open and complete an online form at the same time.  Presumably they'd all be using a guest account or multiple simultaneous guest accounts, but can multiple guests access an online form (different copies of the form) simultaneously?  Can multiple guest accounts exist simultaneously?  If they can, can the be accessed at the same time?  I presume that once data has been entered and the online form closed, the only changes that can be made would be by the database administrator.  We would also want the database to alert us to the existance of a new online entry into the database.

We'd appreciate any input from forum members.

Thanks

Mike

Outcomes