AnsweredAssumed Answered

Once a record is committed, is it possible to restrict modification of the key field's value

Question asked by RyanF on May 21, 2013
Latest reply on May 22, 2013 by RickWhitelaw

Title

Once a record is committed, is it possible to restrict modification of the key field's value

Hi,

I am a newbie to Filemaker (FMPv11) and am working on creating an asset management database (used for managing a tape vault where we can track the location of an asset based on it's barcode information). I'm having trouble figuring out a specifc field behavior and am hoping you can help point me in the right direction. In my solution, our staff needs to be able to enter an asset barcode number into the primary key field. Once commited, I'd like the field to be locked so users can't accidentally modify the data. I however, need a way for them to be able to intentional override the lock if they need to modify the barcode # (we often need to modify the barcode to use our client's barcoding convention instead of our internally generated barcode). I envision it working this way:

User enters barcode# in primary key field

After field is commited, field is locked

If user tries to enter the primary key field again, a dialog box opens up asking/confirming they wish to edit the field data. If yes is selected, user is allowed to mofify field data until commited again.

Any help on how to set this up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Outcomes