1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 26, 2011 8:56 AM by philmodjunk

One Button doing multiple things: WHAT'S EFFICIENT WAY?

Title

One Button doing multiple things: WHAT'S EFFICIENT WAY?

There appears several ways to  have One Button respond different ways.  But what's the best efficient way ?  _i_ want more of my buttons to embed changing text menus appearing on them AND thus performing various different task. _i_am tried of same ol buttons everywhere doing same repetitious task. _i_ think FileMaker needs a Floating Palette for putting our buttons or anything on it for doing same task across the application. FileMaker has acknowledged the value of Floating Palettes in its infancy by having in Layout Mode The Inspector Palette. WHY NOT A USER FLOATING PALETTE. Wake up FileMaker!!  rob 'jesus Land Tidd' Lewis

• 1. Re: One Button doing multiple things: WHAT'S EFFICIENT WAY?
          philmodjunk

_i_ want more of my buttons to embed changing text menus appearing on them AND thus performing various different task.

Please define "text menus". Menus and buttons are two different objects. If you want a button's label text to change, that can be done in at least three different ways.

1. You can group the button with several layout text objects--each with a conditional format. Conditional formats can selectively set the size of this layered text to 500 to make that text object invisible. Thus, that button can automatically relabel itself when the conditional formats evaluate differently. You'd have to figure out from a design point what conditional format expressions to use and what global variables, global fields or non global fields they would reference to change the label text and your button scripts would reference and/or change these same values as needed.
          2. Combine a global text field with your button object and/or make the global text field the button. Your scripts can reference the text field to figure out what action to take and can also modify the text in the button so that the next mouse click of the same button does something different.
          3. Combine a global variable placed on the layout as merge text: <<$$GlobalVariable>> with your button and treat it much the same as option 2 above.

I can't tell you which option is most efficient as that depends on what you need your button to do.

_i_ think FileMaker needs a Floating Palette for putting our buttons or anything on it for doing same task across the application.

That will be very useful feature in FileMaker. If you'd like more FileMaker Inc people to read your request for a new feature, you are welcome to use the Feature Suggestion Form

Many of us set up a "default objects" layout and copy and paste from it to get a uniform set of navigation buttons, field formats etc. You might also look at this demo file and note the simple navigation bar of buttons across the top that were created on one layout and then copy/pasted without modification to each of the other buttons in the demo file--that doesn't do all that you'd like, but it may give you some ideas...

http://www.4shared.com/file/dZ0bjclw/ManyToManywDemoWExtras.html