2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2012 11:59 AM by heath

One or Two Database Files...Runtime...Server...Yikes

heath

Title

One or Two Database Files...Runtime...Server...Yikes

OK-  

I would be very interested to here some opinions on the best way to get started on a major project.  I am producing a database for a company that has two divisions.  One being Quality Control and the other being Warranty.  The two divisions work closely together as their names would suggest.  My question is this.  The company wants to get setup on FMP server with about 4-5 users to start with and growing from there.  I would like to make this database a standalone run-time application so each user does not require a copy of fmp.  Secondly, should I make one giant database, or break it down into two, one for each department.  Thirdly, is it a simple process to produce reports from one or the other database containing information from both database files?

Am I thinking along the right path or have I lost it somewhere?

Thanks

• 1. Re: One or Two Database Files...Runtime...Server...Yikes
          philmodjunk

Runtime databases cannot link to a hosted database as a client so that approach is not an option. If you intend to pass out separate copies of the database that do not need to link to the server, that you can do, but if each of these copies is used to collect data to be synched back to the server, you'll need to plan that one out carefully as this is not a trivial thing to undertake even if you take advantage of a third party supplied synch tool.

Secondly, should I make one giant database, or break it down into two, one for each department.

There's no straight forward simple answer to that, but the more data that needs to be accessible to both departments, the more advantages there are to a single database shared by both.

Thirdly, is it a simple process to produce reports from one or the other database containing information from both database files?

If both databases are hosted on the same network, then it is quite easy to do, but if you are going to do that, your design and implementation are likely to be simpler if you just keep all the tables in one file, or set up a data separation system with two files--one functions as the interface and the other stores all the tables.

Keep in mind that security settings can be used to limit each user's access to only those layouts, tables and records for which they are authorized.

• 2. Re: One or Two Database Files...Runtime...Server...Yikes
            heath

Thank you for your comments.  They are of great help moving forward!!!