3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2013 8:27 AM by philmodjunk

One Report on Two fields based on Value Lists

bokenrosie

Title

One Report on Two fields based on Value Lists

I'm using a value list to track clothing size for individuals we are inviting to a party.  

I have two fields called:

Attendee Sweater Size & Guest Sweater Size

inside there I store values from:

a Value List called Sweater Size

Mens-S
           Mens-M
           Mens-L
           Mens-XL
           Womens-XS
           Womens-S
           Womens-M
           Womens-L
           Womens-XL

Now I need to know how many of each size to order 

I tried a report but it did not come out anywhere close to what I expected.  Do I need to add a calculated field?

• 1. Re: One Report on Two fields based on Value Lists
          philmodjunk

The best option would be to restructure your tables/relationships so that sizes are recorded in the same field, but in different records for both attendees and guests. A simple related table can be set up for that purpose.

Without that option, reporting the total count of sizes for each person attending--wheter invited or as guest, becomes difficult to impossible because the same record can contain size info for at least two different sizes.

• 2. Re: One Report on Two fields based on Value Lists
            bokenrosie

I assume you mean a related table?  If so, how do I ensure a relationship between the names on the list and their records in the size table?

• 3. Re: One Report on Two fields based on Value Lists
              philmodjunk

To quote my previous post: "A simple related table can be set up for that purpose."

To get a clearer idea of the tables/relationships/layouts I might use for such a solution see this demo file that I use to illustrate many to many relationships: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyir7cs0yxmbn6i/ManyToManywDemoWExtras.fp7

It is based on these tables/relationships:

Contacts----<Contact_Event>------Events

A record in Contact_Event is created for each person slated to attend a given event. ID numbers from Events and Contacts are used to link in info about the attendee and the event they are expected to attend. A field in Contact_Event can be added and used to identify whether a given attendee was invited, is being brought as the guest of an invitee or is an employee/volunteer scheduled to work at that event. A field in Contacts can record the clothing size data.

And a self join between Contact_Event and a new Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? of Contact_Event can be set up to link an invited individual to the person that will be bringing them to the event.