10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 6:26 AM by orthojim

One time data entry; multiple tables

Jared

Title

One time data entry; multiple tables

Before I purchase the full version of FMPro I need to know if it can do what I want.  I want to create multiple tables containing a lot of the same information, i.e.. names, ssn, dates ...and so on.  Can I create one table that enters that places that information into the other tables without having to re-enter the data multiple times?

• 1. Re: One time data entry; multiple tables
          comment_1

Jared wrote:

I want to create multiple tables containing a lot of the same information

No, that is NOT something you want. You want to store entered data in one place only - so that if it changes, it only needs to be modified once. The other tables can access the data through relationships.

• 2. Re: One time data entry; multiple tables
            Jared
               The database that I would create is for Funeral Home Records.  I want to enter the vital statistics in one table (first name, last name, ssn, date of birth, date of death, deceaseds address, county of death, state of death, etc.) entries that won't change until I create another record.  I want those entries to be automatilcally entered into other tables that require the same information (veterans forms, social security forms, etc.).  Does that make since?
            • 3. Re: One time data entry; multiple tables
              comment_1

I may not follow this fully, so correct me if I am wrong: I am assuming that for each deceased there would be only one form of each type to fill. If so, there's no need for additional tables - you simpy need more layouts of the same table.

In other situations, where a parent record can have several child records in another table, the child record would only need to hold its parent's ParentID value - then all the information from the parent record would be available to the child through the relationship.

• 4. Re: One time data entry; multiple tables
                Jared
                   Your are correct.  The first table that I would create I would call "Vital Statistics."  It would contain all the info regarding the deceaed and there information.  However, with each deceased other information must be entered on other forms.  I was hoping to include a table that I inserted a pdf of "Veterans Forms" where alot of the information is repeated but on top of a pdf.  Another table would be "Social Security" also a pdf.  Here is a link to a Mortuary Managment Software.  I would go this route but as a small business I can't afford the $$$$ startup cost and the annual charges.  http://twintierstech.com/image/mims-video-demo/Setup/Setup.htm
                • 5. Re: One time data entry; multiple tables
                  ninja

Howdy Jared,

I usually don't hop into one of comments threads, but I notice that the main issue is in your wording.  I hope you'll forgive the intrusion.

Jared wrote: 
                  The first only table that I would create I would call "Vital Statistics."  It would contain all the info regarding the deceaed and there information.  However, with each deceased other information must be entered on other forms.  I was hoping to include a table Layout that I inserted a pdf of "Veterans Forms" where alot of the information is repeated but on top of a pdf.  Another table Layout would be "Social Security" also a pdf. 

comment is right on the money (as is typical).  One table, multiple layouts based on that one table.  One record per individual.  Each layout can include the pdf of the form and you'll drop in the pertinent fields in the right places over top of the pdf form.

HTH,

• 6. Re: One time data entry; multiple tables
                    philmodjunk
                       To answer the original question. You can do what you want. We just think you won't need to as keeping all this data in just one place is better design and will be much easier to work with overall.
                    • 7. Re: One time data entry; multiple tables
                      MikeyG79

This is what relational databases are for.

You keep all the vital information in one place.

Then, when you create any form, enter - say a SSN, it will use the information in the one vital table. No need to store it in many places. 

• 8. Re: One time data entry; multiple tables
                        Jared

How do you create a relationship in one table that fills in a field automatically in another table?

• 9. Re: One time data entry; multiple tables
                          philmodjunk

Jared wrote:

How do you create a relationship in one table that fills in a field automatically in another table?

Usually the only time you need this is for the value of the key field in the related table. This is an option you can enable using the "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship". For other fields, instead of filling in the data, you simply add the fields from both tables to the same layout.

• 10. Re: One time data entry; multiple tables
                            orthojim

"Usually the only time you need this is for the value of the key field in the related table. This is an option you can enable using the "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship". For other fields, instead of filling in the data, you simply add the fields from both tables to the same layout."

How?

I have a similar issue. I am a surgeon trying to set up a database for my practice. I have several tables - firstly patient information (record number, name, DOB etc). I then have a second table for operative records(operation, date etc.) And a third table for those patients who are billable (invoice date, funding source, payment recieved etc). Most, but not all of the patients that i enter into the information page will require a record in the surgical log table. What is the best way to achieve this?