1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 12, 2010 9:39 AM by philmodjunk

One to Many

Pebbles

Title

One to Many

Hello, I am in need of some help.  I am working with FM 10 on Windows and I have created a one to many database to store Parent and child information. 

I have two tables one for parent and one for child. each have their own id number. I created a portal on the parent table to enter the child information. but at first it was not creating a child id on the child table. I have fixed that, but now when I enter the child info on the parent table it does not show in the portal.

is there a way I can fix that? Please keep in mind I am new to FM 10 and so I am learning as I go along.

any help would be appreciated.

Thank you 

• 1. Re: One to Many
          philmodjunk

"...at first it was not creating a child id on the child table. I have fixed that, but..."

How did you "fix' that?

Make sure this is what you have set up:

1. The ID field in the child table should be a simple number field. It should not be set up to auto-enter a serial number.
          2. The ID field in your Parent record should be set up to auto-enter a serial number.
          3. In Manage | Database | Relaionships, double click the line linking your two table occurrence boxes and click the check box "Allow creation of records via this relationship" for the Child table.

Now entering data in the bottom blank row of your portal should create a new child record and automatically enter the ID number of your current Parent record.