2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2014 2:56 PM by DarrelFarah

One to One relationship, automatic record creation

DarrelFarah

Title

One to One relationship, automatic record creation

I am setting up a file (Contacts) that I am tracking for any modifications in it.  I want to set up a check box that allows the user to mark records in a portal showing this files records to allow the checked records to be manipulated by a script.  My problem is that I don't want checking and unchecking the check box to constitute a modification of the record. 

I was thinking of setting up a parallel file that has a one to one relationship with the Contact file that has the check box in it.  Problem is I have not figured out a way for the parallel file to automatically make a record linked to the first file when the record is created in the first file.

I am open to any ideas to solve this.

• 1. Re: One to One relationship, automatic record creation
          philmodjunk

Why do you need to automatically create a record in the related table when a new record is created in the first table?

If you have this relationship:

DataTable::__pkDataTableID = MarkItTable::_fkDataTableID

You can enable "allow creation of record via this relationship" for MarkItTable in the above relationship. You can then add a field formatted as a check box from MarkitTable to the DataTable layout or to a portal based on DataTable. If you click the check box, a value will be assigned to the related table in MarkItTable. If no such related record exists, one is created automatically.

• 2. Re: One to One relationship, automatic record creation
            DarrelFarah

Thanks.  I thought I tested this and it didn't work.  Obviously I had an error as I just tried it again and it worked great.  Thx.

As I have 8 related files to do this in this will make it much easier.