6 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2009 7:02 PM by b3nelson

One way relational fields

b3nelson

Title

One way relational fields

I want to be able to enter in one field (Part Number) and have it auto populate about 8 other fields containing the part sizing and other info, but if I dont have a Part number (for custom jobs) I dont want it to look up the info on a relational basis for the rest of the fields. How do I create a script that after entering the part number it will auto populate the rest of the fields, but NOT vice versa, as it would via Looked-up values in the Auto enter options of a field.

• 1. Re: One way relational fields
          davidhead

If you enter a part number that does not exist in the lookup table, the lookup fields will not be populated. 

If you leave the part number empty, it will not lookup values either.

So what is the problem with using lookups? 

• 2. Re: One way relational fields
            b3nelson

Right now how I have it, if I type in any field that relates to any other field any way based of the parts database it will auto-enter the fields, I want this to only happen if I type in a part number, I dont want it looking up information if I don't have a part number.

What is the correct way to setup a lookup? 

• 3. Re: One way relational fields
              davidhead

I really can't understand what you have set up. Are you seeing fields being populated in the table you are in? And what table is that? Or are you seeing related data from a parts record? It seems strange to type in "any field that relates to any other field any way based of the parts database" and that triggers a lookup? Do you even have lookups set in the field options?

Very confused. 

• 4. Re: One way relational fields
                b3nelson

Sorry I'm not very clear on things. I'm obviously a n00b to FileMaker.

Here is a screen shot of what I am working with. If you want to see my files that i am working with I have posted them to brentnelsonmedia.com/filemaker there are 3 databases linked. Avery Part Number is pulling from Avery database.

Thank you for trying to help me! 

Screenie 

• 5. Re: One way relational fields
                  davidhead

Wow, OK I would never have guessed what the problem was by looking at the screenshot.

Your relationships are wrong. Very wrong.

You have (or someone has) related all the Avery fields to all the Job Setup fields with a cartesian join. 

What could work with your current setup is to relate:

JobSetup::Avery Part Number = Avery::Number

Then the fields like Size AC will lookup their values when a part number is entered and not unless.

See if that makes sense for you.

BTW, all these tables could be in one file - that would make things a lot easier. 

• 6. Re: One way relational fields
                    b3nelson
                       Awesome! Thanks! that works for me. I feel stupid, I should have thought of that.