3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 3:31 PM by philmodjunk

Open a PDF file

jeffd

Title

Open a PDF file

Is it possible to open a pdf file that not part of a filemaker database. I want to set up a script that would allow a user to open a pdf file that's located in My Documents folder to view current info.

Is this possible?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Open a PDF file
          philmodjunk
             It's possible to use the Open URL script to open a file. I haven't done this recently so can't give you the exact format, but it can be done.
          • 2. Re: Open a PDF file
            jeffd

Okay, I'm back on this script step and I must be missing something. I am the host for the filemaker program and the folder I want to open is on my computer. I can get this folder to open when activating this script step on my computer;

Open URL[No dialog; "File:c:/Deere Programs/Deere Construction Sales/"]

but this script step will not open the folder from a remote computer.

Can you or someone tell me what the Open URL command needs to be please so I can get this script to open

the folder for remote users.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Open a PDF file
              philmodjunk

Can you directly access this folder without using filemaker?

Open URL should still be able to open the file as long as you can supply a valid filepath to it.

If the folder is in an accessible shared folder on another computer, right click it and choose properties to see the filepath to it.