3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2010 9:37 AM by philmodjunk

open database automatically

mk4482

Title

open database automatically

Is there a way to open a particular database automatically every time I open Filemaker?  I am using FMP 11 Advanced.  Thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: open database automatically
          philmodjunk

Not as far as I know. Why do you need this? (Perhaps there's a different approach that will serve.)

• 2. Re: open database automatically
            mk4482

Thanks for the reply.  All of the users use one database, and only a few use more than one.  I wanted the database we all share to open automatically instead of using the Quick Start Screen, or having to navigate to the remote server.  I have then created a custom menu so the users that need to get to other databases can use their favorites menu.  I know Access will let you do this and I like having this feature.  I suppose it is no big deal to select it from the Quick Start, but if they only use this one database I thought it would be nice if it could open automatically.  Thanks for any additional advice.

• 3. Re: open database automatically
              philmodjunk

If the file is hosted on a server:

Create a small database file and put a copy of it on every desktop.

Write a script that uses Open File to open the hosted file.

In File Options for this file, specify that this simple script run when the file is opened.

When a user double clicks this file, the hosted file will automatically open on their screen.

If this were a local file, you can simply place a short cut or alias to the local file on your desktop.