2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2012 7:54 AM by dagnew

Open file -> empty window -> FMP hangs, crashes

dagnew

Title

Open file -> empty window -> FMP hangs, crashes

Yesterday all was well. FMS 11 hosting 35 databases on Mac OS 10.6; clients are Mac OS 10.5 and 10.6, running FMP 9.03 (I use FMPA). FMS saves numerous backups each day. This morning no clients could open the solution. FM Server Admin reports 'all normal', all files open. When a client (I tried two) attempts to open the solution (via an opener file or via 'open remote'), the usual file window appears, with the filename, but nothing is drawn in the window. After a short while the spinning beachball of death appears, and eventually - about 5 minutes - FMP crashes. If I use FM Server Admin to close the solution files, and then open them directly on the server with FMPA, I get the same 'empty window'!

However, the Filemaker Sample file CAN be opened remotely, so it seems the hosted files are corrupted. But here's where it gets strange: I used FM Server Admin to close the hosted files, then dragged them from the folder for the hosted solution, and then used FM Server Admin to upload files from the day before. This resulted in no improvement. Likewise I did the same thing with backup solution files from a month ago and no improvement. Never in the past month was there any problem.

Finally, in Console, I see that I'm getting MANY log entries: NSAutoreleaseNoPool()...DocWindow autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking. A Google search tells me this is a memory leak, but nothing more that i understand. Attached are 2 images: from Apple's Console, and from FM Server Admin's Console - statistics.

I'm puzzled, and any suggestions are much welcomed!

FMS_AdminConsole.png

• 1. Re: Open file -> empty window -> FMP hangs, crashes
          philmodjunk

I suggest taking a copy of the files down off the server (copy them across the network to your machine) and running a recover on them to see what is reported. As a test, you may even want to put the recovered copy back up on the server to see if can be opened--even if recover does not report detecting any problems.

You may also want to use server Admin to close all the files, restart your server and then see if you can successfully connect to them.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          2. Recover does not detect all problems
          3. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          4. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: Open file -> empty window -> FMP hangs, crashes
            dagnew

Thank you, PhilModJunk. I think I might have figured this out earlier but I was misled by NSAutoreleaseNoPool() memory errors in Console. I finally used ScriptDebugger and discovered the problem. I had an initialization script in a subfile that tested the date, and on the last day of the school year it got stuck in an endless loop. I inadvertently broke the script sometime this year but that wasn't apparent until the last school day. I imagine that this endless loop also caused the memory leak, but haven't gotten there yet. Thanks again.