1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 3, 2009 1:33 PM by philmodjunk

Open File Script Help Needed

DorianMSW

Title

Open File Script Help Needed

Hello!  I have been working through learning how to efficiently use Filemaker Pro and have a question regarding using the Open File Script.  Here is my situation:

I am hoping to create a script that will create and then open a new database for a client. Each client database will contain a series of individual records that pull data from the larger group database, but I would like the individual databases to be seperate. 

What would a sample script look like that in essence could open a template version of the individual database, change the file name to a unique filename based on the record within the larger group database, and then save-as that new unique name? 

Also, what is the most efficient way to then open the unique database from within the larger group database when updating/changing the individual data for each client in the smaller database that was created by the prior script?

Thanks for your advice and help on this matter.

Dorian

• 1. Re: Open File Script Help Needed
          philmodjunk

I recommend that you rethink the basic concept of what you are trying to do (which can't be done in a filemaker script anyway).

Using access privileges and scripts you can restrict a user's access only to records that they are entitled to browse and/or edit. Thus you can have a single set of user tables for all your users. If User A logs in with their password, they can only see the records from these tables that "belong" to User A. If User B logs in, User B can only see User B records and so forth.

This creates a system that should function the same as what you describe but does not require that a script create multiple databases with different file names and eliminates the update issues you describe.