1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 28, 2014 4:00 PM by philmodjunk

Open pdf files in Acrobat

DavidBasskin

Title

Open pdf files in Acrobat

I'm using Filemaker Pro 12.0v4 on Windows 8.1. In my database, I've createed a container field optimized for interactive content and I store pdf files in it. I'm using Acrobat Pro 11.0.9 as well. Everyuthing works fine, but I'd like to be able, in Browse mode, to double-click on the image of the pdf file and have the file open in Acrobat Pro. I won't need to edit and re-save the document - just to be able to read it in Acrobat Pro.

I know I can save a copy of the pdf from the record and then open it, but if I don't really need to cluter up my disk with file copies. Is there a script or a feature that can meet my need? Many thanks!

David Basskin

• 1. Re: Open pdf files in Acrobat
          philmodjunk

To avoid the "file clutter", use export field contents to export the file to the temporary folder. Copies exported to that location are not retained.

The double click method only works if:

a) The file was inserted with Insert File and with "store a reference" specified

AND

b) the container field is NOT optimized for interactive content

AND

c) external storage is not specified for the container field

Thus, it's probably simpler to use the export field contents option, but specify your temporary folder as the location to which to export and open the file.