11 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2014 10:40 AM by TSGal

open url not working in windows server 2008 fmpa12 for opening images container

gethappy@happypc.com

Title

open url not working in windows server 2008 fmpa12 for opening images container

Scratching my head on this one...

I have a database running on FMP Advanced 12 on Windows Server 2008.  We have a container field that we store a reference to files in and we have an "open url" script step to open the file within the container in the native application on the machine.

The open url command works fine if there is a PDF, TXT or FMP file within the container, but if I put an image (jpg, jpeg) in the container field, then click "open url" ... nothing happens.  Looking at the debugger, I see that i receive an error 5 after the open url command runs.

when I move the database to a windows xp machine ... the script works perfectly.  Even when moving it to a mac (changing the file paths in the open url of course) it works fine as well.

Also ... related or unrelated i see the same behavior with the following test ... when I create a new database as a test, and put the image in a container field ... NOT REFERENCING the image ... if I right click on the container and select "export field contents" and check the box to "automatically open file", the image saves but does not open.  Ironically if I put a PDF in the same container field and 'export field contents' with "automatically open file" checked ... it opens the PDF in the native format.  So the problem is happening unrelated to the 'open url' command.

I'm just saving to the desktop of the local computer, keeping things as simple as possible to find the issue.

strange for sure ... can't figure out the solution ...