3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2009 9:50 AM by TSGal

open url script

dcarusot

Title

open url script

I am using FM 10 and IWP.  I have a script step that opens a URL and "mailto" works, but it opens a blank window on the web and then leaves it there.  I have tried to adda script step that closes the blank window but it's not working.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: open url script
          TSGal

dcarusot:

Thank you for your post.

When you run Instant Web Publishing, you are accessing a FileMaker Pro file via your browser.  When you open a URL, the browser will open a new window; not FileMaker Pro.  Any attempt to close a Window in FileMaker Pro will not close a browser window.

Instead, you may want to use a Web viewer.  On your layout, add a web viewer and set it to the URL you want to display.  Then, you can just access this layout and the URL will display.

If you need additional clarification, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: open url script
            dcarusot

Hi, Thank you for responding to me.  I am confused though.  Let me clarify what my script is doing.  I use IWP and want to give users the ability to "email" a standard note to a group of "on" operators notifying the next operator that a new submission was made.  The mailto script step wasn't working so I was advised to use the open url, which opens the desktop mail application, inputs the recipient, subject line and body, then sends the email.  This works fine except for the blank window.

I understand what you are saying about the creation of the blank window, but if I put a webviewer in won't that just launch, let's say Gmail, at the sign in window? Then the user needs to log into their email, type the message and send the notice.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

• 3. Re: open url script
              TSGal

dcarusot:

Thank you for the clarification and what your goal is.

Instead of using "Open URL", use "Send Mail" and specify the SMTP Server.  This is fully web compatible.  What you can do is create a layout that looks like an Email message.  Then, use a button to execute the "Send Mail" script step using the fields on your layout for "To", "Subject", "Message", etc.  This will save you from opening a new window that you cannot close, or opening a Web Viewer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.