5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2009 11:36 AM by cntapp

Open URL Script Issue

cntapp

Title

Open URL Script Issue

I am trying to open a DICOM file in a medical viewing program called eFilm. This is easily executed by opening one of the DICOM files through filemaker. I have a script that says Open URL [No dialog; dicometestinterface Converted:FileLinkScan1]. FileLinkScan1 is the name of the field that the DICOM file is inserted into. Another field with an arbitrary name is the button to run the script that opens the file. This is all fine and dandy, and the script will execute when first put in place, but after closing the file and opening it again, the script won't run, and therefore the DICOM file will not open.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

• 1. Re: Open URL Script Issue
          gunnerstudio
             What happens in you save the eFilm in a container as a referance. and uses a button to open the file in the container??
          • 2. Re: Open URL Script Issue
            cntapp
               If I make it a container and save as a reference, nothing will happen when I click or double click it...
            • 3. Re: Open URL Script Issue
              TSGal

cntapp:

Thank you for your post.

Are you running under Macintosh or Windows operating system?  What version of the operating system are you running?

Try inserting a PDF file into the Container field, and save it as a reference.  You should be able to double-click on it, and the PDF file should open under either Adobe Reader or Preview (Mac).  If this doesn't work, then your system settings for application to open files with .pdf extensions is not set up properly, or there is a problem with the Operating System.

I do not have the eFilm application, so sending the file will not help me.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in determining possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Open URL Script Issue
                ninja

Howdy all,

Have you tried "Send Event" script step instead of Open URL.  I don't know if it fits the bill or not, but it should show across the top of the SendEvent settings box if it recognizes the file type.

I don't know many of the ins or outs of openURL vs. SendEvent...but I've found that one works where another doesn't in some cases.

HTH in some way,

• 5. Re: Open URL Script Issue
                  cntapp

Thank you for your responses.

I am running on Windows XP Professional 2002 and FMP 10. I have done what you have said with other pdf files, and it has worked, but in this case its not a pdf file that I am working with but is a .dcm or DICOM file. I am not sure if this is the source of my problem, but I have found a solution in placing the full file address into a field, and then the button field references this address in a Open URL script. I think this means problem solved! With inserting the address in this way, the connection always works.

Thank you again!