3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 2:55 PM by philmodjunk

Opening a pdf file

IzetKapetanovic

Title

Opening a pdf file

I have copied pdf files into a Filemaker container field and would like to be able to open them by clicking on the field in the browse mode. I can't seem to be able to figure this out. The only thing that I was able to do is using the export function which allows saving of the file and opening it. However, I would only like to open the file on click and not save it.

• 1. Re: Opening a pdf file
          davidanders

View pdf files in container fields

Title:    View pdf files in container fields
          Post:   Simple question:  I loaded pdf files in a container field.  How do I view the file?

ANSWER CHOSEN That depends on how you inserted it.

A store by reference PDF file can be opened by double-clicking the container field. Store by reference just stores the file path to the file, you still have to keep it as a separate file and you can't change it's name or move it without your container field losing access to the file.

If the file is physically stored in the container, you can use Export Field Contents to open the file. You can click in the field and select this option from the edit menu or you can create a script that does this for you.

From Google "open pdf site:forums.filemaker.com"
          https://www.google.com/search?q=open+pdf+site%3Aforums.filemaker.com

• 2. Re: Opening a pdf file
            IzetKapetanovic

I have dragged and dropped a pdf file from my desktop to the container and so I imagine it is physically stored in the database.  I have been using Export Field Contents as you had suggested but didn't like having to save the file on the local computer. I would prefer only to open it without saving but don't see an option for doing so.

• 3. Re: Opening a pdf file
              philmodjunk

Save it to temporary items. There's a get function that will return the local computer's file path to that location that you can use. Then the copy saved to the user's computer will not be retained.

Or save it to any other location to your computer, but use Export Field Contents to the same file name and file path but with no field specified and this script step will delete the copy saved to the user's computer.