AnsweredAssumed Answered

Opening a shared file directly from a remote volume...

Question asked by MarkWhite on Mar 23, 2011
Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Opening a shared file directly from a remote volume...

Hey,

So I want to be able to store my FileMaker Pro database files on a remote volume -- primarily for the ease of backup, redundancy (RAID), and consistency in file locations -- but continually have the "Opening a shared file directly from a remote volume" warning message on every file! Is there a way to disable this warning?

Now, the remote volume that is being accessed is a commercial grade NAS with higher performance than the internal hard drive and the network is 1GBit so I don't think "will reduce performance and can affect reliability" is applicable (since it's effectively better than the local storage).

All the other posts I could find (google/your forums) about this warning message, the end response was basically "why would you want to do that", or "you should buy FileMaker Server", or "Don't know how to disable the message". Which are all very unhelpful. I'm hoping an employee can provide something more useful -- or at least a valid reason for not being able to disable this warning if you can't (as in specific technical reasons).

Oh, and I tried symbolically linking the remote share (the directory containing the FileMaker Pro files) to a local directory in hope that it could fool FileMaker Pro, but unfortunately it didn't.

Thanks,
Mark

Outcomes