6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2012 10:19 AM by pdoak_1

Opening external filemaker database

pdoak_1

Title

Opening external filemaker database

Operating system: OS x 10.7.4

Filemaker pro v 12

Intermediate user

I have converted a database from v11 to v12 and it had a reference to another fm11 database.  I have converted the other database to fm12 and I have changed the filelocation in Manage, External data sources but it still cannot find the converted fm12 and it asks me to find it when I open the main database file.  Is there anything else that I need to do to make it open automatically as it did it v11.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Opening external filemaker database
          philmodjunk

Unless you are importing data via script from the other file, that should be sufficient. If you have a script with Import Records, that step contains its own file reference that may need updating.

If that's not the issue here, I'd double check manage | External Data Sources for additional references to your other file and I'd open the other file and check any references it may have back to the first file.

• 2. Re: Opening external filemaker database
            pdoak_1

Phil

There are no scripts which import data from the other file and I have checked that there is only one file reference in manage|External data Sources.  Also, I have checked that the file reference back from the external file correctly references the original database file.

Is there anything that could be causing this problem?

• 3. Re: Opening external filemaker database
              philmodjunk

It's possible to have more than one external data source reference to the same file. Have you checked for additional references?

Do you use a script to open the file? If it uses a system script or batch file to open it,  that would not use an external data source reference. Neither would Open URL or a web viewer with a URL that opens the file.

But all of these aren't very likely cases here except for the first--particularly if it were converted from a very old version of FileMaker (6 or older) some time in the past to make it a .fp7 file.

• 4. Re: Opening external filemaker database
                pdoak_1

The database was converted from a Filemaker pro 11 database original file.  

Where can I check for additional references?  Here is a screenshot of the external data sources. 

• 5. Re: Opening external filemaker database
                  philmodjunk

From your list, it's clear that you don't have any other references.And it's unlikely that you would have one unless your file had the history I described.

How did you update this reference?

If you click New for a new reference, then click Add File and use the dialogs to create the reference to the file, does it look the same?

Are the research, Screening folders inside the same folder as this database file?

• 6. Re: Opening external filemaker database
                    pdoak_1

Phil

I updated it by selecting the old file in "manage external data sources" and edited the location by selecting the new fm12 file.  

If you click New for a new reference, then click Add File and use the dialogs to create the reference to the file, does it look the same?

Yes it does.

Are the research, Screening folders inside the same folder as this database file?

No it is not