4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2015 10:20 AM by AlexAnder

opening files stored in container fields

BuzzSmith

Title

opening files stored in container fields

When inserting a file (.pdf, .xls, .doc, .m4v, etc) into a container field, if I use the "Store only a reference to the file" option, I can double-click on the field and the file will open in the appropriate application. However, If I actually place the file into the container field (NOT using the "Store only a reference to the file" option), double-clicking does nothing.

Is this the way FileMaker Pro on the Mac is supposed to work? If not, what am I doing wrong?

example.jpg

• 1. Re: opening files stored in container fields
          Jade

Hi Buzz,

Yep, that's how it is.  If you don't store the files as a reference, then you must export the field contents and open the saved file in the Finder.  Probably you could script this.

Strange thing is FileMaker Go can open these on the iPhone/iPad. Go figure.

• 2. Re: opening files stored in container fields
            raybaudi

Try this script:

If [ not IsEmpty ( YourTable::YourContainerField ) ]
            Set Variable [ $temp ; Value: "file:" & Get ( TemporaryPath ) & YourTable::YourContainerField ]
            Export Field Contents [ YourTable::YourContainerField ; $temp ; Automatically open ]
            End If

• 3. Re: opening files stored in container fields
              philmodjunk

Note that if the file is not stored by reference and you are opening the file to edit it, you must use insert file to insert the newly edited copy back into the container or your changes will not be there the next time you open the file.

• 4. Re: opening files stored in container fields
                AlexAnder

Hello, I would like to revisit this issue, I am not sure what version the OP references, mine is v 12 and this does not seem to work. 

I insert a file (a pdf) by using the "Insert File" menu item, selecting "store reference only". 

Double clicking does nothing.

Is there anything else that needs to be done so double clicking opens the file with by its associated application? E.g. any setting for the container field from Layout view (e.g. optimize for this or that) or any storage setting needs to be done?

Thanks