1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 19, 2012 11:50 AM by philmodjunk

Opening FM Pro 10 with username and password

JoseVerstappen

Title

Opening FM Pro 10 with username and password

I have been running FM Pro 10 with 10 licenses; one computer serves as the host, and the remaining computers (or in fact also the host) have been logging in with a username and password - where I had a Username and Password to allow me access as administrator, while the other users had a different Username and Password to allow access without administrator privileges.

I recently installed a copy on a new computer to replace another computer that had died. During the installation process I was asked something along the lines of whether I wanted to use a Username and Password when I opened FM; since this install was on my own private laptop, I assumed that this was related to this particular install on my own laptop - only to find out that it had changed the setting in FM; subsequently it allowed each computer to open FM without asking for a Username and Password.

The problem I have is that I need to be able to open Filemaker as Administrator in order to to work on the structure, layouts etc. However, as FM now opens automatically in the Guest mode, I have no way to do this any longer.

There must be a way for me to open FM as an Administrator, though, so that I can reverse this setting, and so that I can again access the file as an Administrator, and restore the procedure where everyone who opens the file is asked again for a Username and Password.

Any suggestions? Many thanks,

- Jose

• 1. Re: Opening FM Pro 10 with username and password
          philmodjunk

Hold down the shift key (windows) or option key (mac) while opening the file. You'll then get the standard account name and password dialog in order to log in. Then, now that you have the file open with the admin account, go to File Options from the file menu and you'll find the place where a file can be set up to enter a password automatically when the file opens.