2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2014 1:42 PM by FMUser101

Opening Multiple FM sessions

FMUser101

Title

Opening Multiple FM sessions

I am wondering if it is possible to open more than one FileMaker session at a time on one computer? Many of our files/databases have many windows opened at one time when they are being used, which makes the screen get quite cluttered/confusing if a user has more than one file open at once in the same FileMaker program window. (Imagine dozens of different windows opened on one screen, representing many different files/databases - not ideal!) One solution would be to simply close one file before opening another, but this would require having to sign back in again and again, and is also not ideal. Preferrably, the users would like to be able to open a new session of FileMaker for each file they open, so that each program window only displays the windows specific to one particular file/database.

Thanks for any help with this!

• 1. Re: Opening Multiple FM sessions
          philmodjunk

It may be  possible, but not likely practical. You'll get a user license error unless you figure out a way to install two copies with different license keys on the same machine.

But simpler/cheaper alternatives for this are possible:

1) Close all but one window in file 1 when opening file 2. This keeps the file open while reducing the "clutter". I generally try to keep no more than two or three windows open and visible at one time inside a windows filemaker application specifically to reduce clutter.

2) Instead of closing the windows minimize them, or reposition them to a location with negative coordinates...

3) Go ahead and close the file. If you define matching account names and passwords in each file, a script from File 1 can open File 2 and FileMaker will automatically use the credentials that opened file 1 to open file 2 without asking the user to log in.

• 2. Re: Opening Multiple FM sessions
            FMUser101

Thanks for your quick response and helpful suggestions! I'll try these and see what works well here.