4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2014 6:43 AM by philmodjunk

Opinions re checking empty fields

ArmutElma

Title

Opinions re checking empty fields

Hello,

I'm in the process of making a multi-page (slider) test where students enter some information and at the end before they submit it, I need to do a check whether the fields are empty. None of the fields should be left blank even if they have to type "bla blah".

I would normally use one of the following 3 options:

1-  Via a script trigger that checks whether the field is empty (IsEmpty) 

2- Write a script and assign it to a submit button that checks all the fields whether they're empty before ending the test.

3- Set the field option to be non-empty (File >Manage >Database)

There issues with these options, however. 

1- Students should be able to flip back and forth and enter information even if they click into one field and decide to leave it until later. So script trigger on exit would not work.

2 - There are too many fields to write an if statements or case statements

3- Same issue as #1.

Can someone share their opinions on how to best go about checking ~50 fields at once without frustrating the student?

• 1. Re: Opinions re checking empty fields
          philmodjunk

Perhaps your "50 fields" should be 25 or 50 records instead of fields all in one record.

I don't see why a single submit button on the form, not the slider, can't be used to check for completeness. This would not prevent the student from going back to previous questions and modifying their answer until they click that final submit button. Clicking submit can even pop up an "are you sure you are done?" confirmation dialog before actually ending the test.

• 2. Re: Opinions re checking empty fields
            delibebek

I'd be tempted to go with solution 2 and use a loop with a "go to next field" step. This would require you to manage the tab order of the fields in question, but with this solution, you could capture the field name from whatever field triggers the "not IsEmpty" if statement.

• 3. Re: Opinions re checking empty fields
              ArmutElma

@Phil - I would like to use a single submit button and check for completeness. I'll have to experiment and set the account access for the related table as well. (if you'd remember from my previous post about setting up account access to limit users to their own record only).

@ Matthew. That sounds like a workable solution without creating another table. I'm still new to FM so things that may be obvious aren't so to me. I am managing the tab order because this will be viewed on an iPad. For usability purposes I wouldn't want the tab order to be all over the place when entering information. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

• 4. Re: Opinions re checking empty fields
                philmodjunk

(if you'd remember from my previous post about setting up account access to limit users to their own record only).

After over 50,000 comments posted here, I am not able to trust my memory about previous threads as they tend to blur together just a bit. wink

Taking a test and completing a survey is much the same process except that a test has right and wrong answers. You may find this thread on questionaires and surveys helpful in how to best design the tables and relationships of such a database: Need aid on generating a report from a survey layout.