2 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2009 11:34 AM by brman

Oracle long data type not recognized by ESS

brman

Title

Oracle long data type not recognized by ESS

I have an Oracle database that I am trying to access using FileMaker 10.0v1.  There are many tables in the database (over 100) and I can retreive data from most of them using FileMaker.   One table however has a column that is an Oracle "Long" data type.  The contents of this data is simple text.  When I add this table using the relationship graph, I see all of the columns except for the one that is the long data type.  I have opened the same table via ODBC in Excel and I do see column with the long data type.

Does anyone know how to make that long data type show up in FileMaker.

I am using the following:

Windows XP SP3

Oracle in OraClient10g_home1  10.02.00.03

thanks

Brian

• 1. Re: Oracle long data type not recognized by ESS
          mrvodka

Perhaps FM doesnt support the LONG type. I dont even think Oracle really supports it anymore either. If you have access to your Oracle backend, perhaps you can try a LOB type.

What happens if you try to do an FileMaker ODBC import instead?

• 2. Re: Oracle long data type not recognized by ESS
            brman

I thought that if FM does not support a type, it brings it in as text, which would work fine in this case.  But instead it does not even show the column as being available.

I really do not have the ability to change the Oracle backend.  It is a pretty closed application.

I can do a FileMake ODBC import and that brings in the Long data type without any problems.

Brian